These small and responsive sensors from Sharp are great way to quickly detect the presence of nearby objects. The available versions offer three different sensing ranges:
There are a few millimeters of hysteresis around the maximum range threshold and no hysteresis at the minimum range threshold. Note that these sensors will only tell you if there is an object within the detection range along their lines of sight; they will not tell you how far away the object is.
With a detection distances up to 150 mm and a typical sampling rate of almost 400 Hz, these sensors provides attractive alternatives to shorter-range LED-phototransistor reflectance pairs and longer-range but slower sensors such as the Sharp GP2Y0A41SK0F analog distance sensor. The output, Vo, is driven low when the sensor detects an object; otherwise, the output is high.
Please note that this sensor requires external components and has a non-standard 1.5 mm pitch, which can make it difficult to integrate into projects based on a 0.1″ pitch. Pololu offer a carrier board for this sensor that makes it much easier to use by including these required components and providing a 0.1″-pitch, three-pin interface: ground, power, and digital output. The carrier board is available with these sensors pre-installed:
Alternatively, you can order the carrier board without any sensor and solder one in yourself. The pictures below show Pololu's bare carrier board (left) and the carrier board with the Sharp digital distance sensor installed (right).
Some example applications include:
- break-beam sensor or photogate alternative
- non-contact bumper or obstacle detector
- a counter or timer of objects as they pass by
- Operating voltage: 2.7 V to 6.2 V
- Average current consumption: 5 mA (typical)
- Distance measuring range
- GP2Y0D805Z0F: 0.5 cm to 5 cm (0.2″ to 2″)
- GP2Y0D810Z0F: 2 cm to 10 cm (0.8″ to 4″)
- GP2Y0D815Z0F: 0.5 cm to 5 cm (0.2″ to 6″)
- Output type: digital signal (low when detecting an object, high otherwise)
- Steady state update period: 2.56 ms typical (3.77 ms max)
- Package size: 13.6 mm × 7 mm × 7.96 mm (0.53″ × 0.27″ × 0.31″)
- Weight: 0.8 g (0.03 oz)
Alternative Sharp Distance Sensors
we carry several analog Sharp distance sensors as well: Sharp GP2Y0A41SK0F 4 – 30 cm, the Sharp GP2Y0A21YK0F 10 – 80 cm, and the Sharp GP2Y0A02YK0F 20 – 150 cm. These analog distance sensors have longer minimum detection distances and much slower response times than the GP2Y0D805, GP2Y0D810, and GP2Y0D815, but they can see farther and report the distance to the detected object rather than simply if an object is detected.
|A variety of Sharp distance sensors.|
Pololu also carry the newer Sharp GP2Y0A60SZ analog distance sensor (10 – 150 cm), which outperforms the other analog Sharp distance sensors in almost all respects, offering a low minimum detection distance, high maximum detection distance, wide 3 V output voltage differential, high 60 Hz sampling rate, operation down to 2.7 V, and optional enable control, all in a smaller package.
|Sharp GP2Y0A02YK0F Sensor 20-150cm (left) next to Pololu Carrier with Sharp GP2Y0A60SZLF Sensor 10-150cm (right).|
Note: This sensor requires external components, which are not included. Please see the datasheet or Pololu's carrier board for Sharp GP2Y0D815Z0F, GP2Y0D810Z0F, and GP2Y0D805Z0F sensors or for details.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.