Controlling a high-power DC motor from a computer has never been easier! With the jrk 12v12, you can control a 6-16V 15A continuous motor using USB, serial, PWM, or analog control. It has upgradeable firmware and can be easily configured using the free config application.
- Single, bi-directional channel
- Operating voltage: 6 - 16V
- Continuous output current: 12A
- Peak output current: 30A
- Auto-detect baud rate range: 300 - 115,200 bps (Bits Per Second)
- Fixed baud rates: 300 - 115,200 bps
- PWM frequencies: 20 kHz and 5 kHz
- Reverse voltage protection
- USB Mini-B connector
- Four communication or control options:
- USB interface for direct connection to a PC.
- Full-duplex, TTL-level asynchronous serial interface for direct connection to microcontrollers or other embedded controllers.
- Hobby radio control (RC) pulse width interface for direct connection to an RC receiver or RC servo controller.
- 0–5 V analog voltage interface for direct connection to potentiometers and analog joysticks.
- Two closed-loop feedback options:
- 0–5 V analog voltage.
- Frequency/tachometer digital input up to 2 MHz with 1 ms PID period.
- (Open-loop control with no feedback also available.)
- Configurable parameters include:
- PID period and PID constants (feedback tuning parameters).
- Maximum current.
- Maximum duty cycle.
- Maximum acceleration.
- Error response.
- Input calibration (learning) for analog and RC control.
- Optional CRC error detection eliminates communication errors caused by noise or software faults.
- Optional feedback potentiometer disconnect detection.
For more info, check out the user’s guide.
The 12v12 is designed to drive a beefy motor within a very specific voltage range, so if you're after something with a bit less power but more versatility, take a look at the jrk 21v3.
What's in the Box?
*Note that a USB cable is no included*
Pololu recommends the follow options for installing these parts:
For the most compact installation, you can solder wires directly to the pads themselves and skip using the included hardware. The included hardware allows you to make less permanent connections. You can break the header strip into smaller pieces, such as an 8×1 piece and two 3×1 pieces, and solder these strips into the I/O pads.
Firmware change notice:
The latest firmware version for the jrk 12v12, version 1.4, changes the way the motor is controlled when the duty cycle is set to 0. All jrk 12v12s manufactured after August 24, 2012 ship with this new firmware version. You can tell what version of the firmware you have by running the jrk configuration utility. See the Upgrading Firmware section of the user’s guide for more information.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Motor Drivers vs. Motor Controllers
If you’ve ever built a robot with wheels, or any motorised parts really, you’ll have come across the issue of needing to drive it from your microcontroller. Because a standard chip is only able to output a small amount of current, you&rsq...
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.