Create your own Arduino-based designs, gain an in-depth knowledge of the architecture of Arduino, and learn the easy-to-use Arduino language all in the context of practical projects that you can build yourself at home. Get hands-on experience using a variety of projects and recipes for everything from home automation to test equipment.
Arduino has taken off as an incredibly popular building block among ubicomp (ubiquitous computing) enthusiasts, robotics hobbyists, and DIY home automation developers. Practical Arduino provides detailed instructions for building a wide range of both practical and fun Arduino-related projects covering areas such as hobbies, automotive, communications, home automation, and instrumentation.
- Take Arduino beyond “blink” to a wide variety of projects from simple to challenging.
- Hands-on recipes for everything from home automation to interfacing with your car engine management system.
- Explanations of techniques and references to handy resources for ubiquitous computing projects.
Supplementary material includes a circuit schematic reference, introductions to a range of electronic engineering principles and general hits and tips. These combine with the projects themselves to make Practical Arduino: Cool Projects for Open Source Hardware an invaluable reference for Arduino users of all levels. You’ll learn a wide variety of techniques that can be applied to your own projects.
What you’ll learn
- Reading analog and digital input and writing analog and digital output
- Communication with serial devices including RFID readers, temperature sensors, and GPS modules
- Connecting Arduino to Ethernet and WiFi networks
- Interfacing with resistive touch screens
- Adding synthesized speech to Arduino projects
- Linking physical devices to software environments
- Linking Arduino to web services
- Decoding data streams from commercial wireless devices
- Reading input from PS/2 keyboards and mice
- Interfacing with common 16×2 and 20×4 LCD modules
- The Arduino memory architecture
- Mass storage using USB memory sticks
- How to use both regular interrupts and pin-change (port-level) interrupts
- How to make DIY prototyping shields for only a couple of dollars
- Appliance Remote Control
- Time-Lapse Camera Controller
- Virtual USB Keyboard
- PS/2 Keyboard Or Mouse Input
- Security / Automation Sensors
- Online Thermometer
- Touch Control Panel
- Speech Synthesizer
- Water Flow Gauge
- Oscilloscope / Logic Analyzer
- Water Tank Depth Sensor
- Weather Station Receiver
- RFID Access Control System
- Vehicle Telemetry Platform
Interview with Jonathan Oxer and Hugh Blemings
Marcus Schappi of Little Bird Electronics cornered Jon and Hugh right after the close of the Arduino Miniconf in Wellington, New Zealand, and asked them some questions about the book. This was the result.
- PA (4)
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.