This interesting module is a lot of fun for hobbyists and students who are interested in experimenting with the ESP8266 WiFi chipset. We bought a bunch of these modules, updated the firmware to the much-easier-to-use v0.924 and wrote some Arduino code to grab a webpage.
We do not have a detailed tutorial at this time, this chipset/module is for the curious and adventurous! There's tons of details and experiementation over at http://www.esp8266.com
This module is very low cost, but very simple. It doesn't support SSL, or communcation over SPI - just UART! It doesn't have 5V to 3V logic level shifting so you'll probably want to pick up a logic level shifter, it also doesn't have a regulator on board and it can use big spikes of 300mA or more current at 3.3V so if using with an Arduino, an external 3V regulator is essential! (Seriously don't try to power it from the 3.3V power pin the Arduino!) Also, the connector is kind of annoying and not breadboard-friendly, some female-to-male wires can help out in that case to make it easy to plug into a breadboard
That said, it does do the job, and can be used as a UART-at-9600-baud to WIFI adapter using our example code for Arduino or, for the really adventurous, programmed directly using an SDK
- Again, we do not have a detailed tutorial at this time! Right now, we're offering this for experimenters' use only - we cannot offer support, returns or refunds for this product.
- Dimensions: 25mm x 15mm x 1mm / 1.0" x 0.6" x 0.04"
- Weight: 1.5g
- http://github.com/sleemanj/ESP8266_Simple (a library that may or may not work!)
- Tons of exploration and details are on http://www.esp8266.com
- As of Jan 7, 2015 we now ship with 0.924 version firmware
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.