Designing Circuit Boards with EAGLE
Powerful, flexible, and inexpensive, EAGLE is the ideal PCB design solution for every Maker/DIYer, startup, hobbyist, or student. It's powerful, and there's tons of open source designs released in EAGLE format to learn from. If you want to design cost-effective new PCBs, this is the tool to learn.
Matthew Scarpino helps you take full advantage of EAGLE's remarkable capabilities. You won't find any differential equations here: only basic circuit theory and hands-on techniques for designing effective PCBs and getting innovative new gadgets to market.
Scarpino starts with an accessible introduction to the fundamentals of PCB design. Next, he walks through the design of basic, intermediate, and complex circuit boards, starting with a simple inverting amplifier and culminating in a six-layer single-board computer with hundreds of components and thousands of routed connections.
As the circuits grow more complex, you'll master advanced EAGLE features and discover how to automate crucial design-related tasks. Whatever your previous experience, Scarpino's start-to-finish examples and practical insight can help you create designs of stunning power and efficiency.
- Understand single-sided, double-sided, and multilayer boards
- Design practical circuits with the schematic editor
- Transform schematics into physical board designs
- Convert board designs into Gerber output files for fabrication
- Expand EAGLE's capabilities with new libraries and components
- Exchange designs with LTspice and simulate their responses to input
- Automate simple repetitive operations with editor commands
- Streamline circuit design and library generation with User Language programs (ULPs)
- Design for the advanced BeagleBone Black, with high-speed BGA devices and a 32-bit system on a chip (SoC)
- Use buses to draw complex connections between components
- Configure stackups, create/route BGA components, and route high-speed signals
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introducing EAGLE
Chapter 2: Overview of Circuit Board Design
Chapter 3: Designing a Simple Circuit
Chapter 4: The Femtoduino Schematic Design
Chapter 5: The Femtoduino Board Design
Chapter 6: Routing the Femtoduino
Chapter 7: Generating Output Files
Chapter 8: Creating Libraries and Components
Chapter 9: Simulating Circuits with LTSpice
Chapter 10: The Editor Command Language
Chapter 11: Introducing User Language Programs (ULPs)
Chapter 12: Examining Designs with the User Language
Chapter 13: Creating Dialogs and Menu Items
Chapter 14: Schematic Design for the BeagleBone Black
Chapter 15: The BeagleBone Board Design
Appendix A: The EAGLE Library Format
Appendix B: The Gerber File Format
About the Author
Matthew Scarpino has a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) and is an Advanced Certified Interconnect Designer (CID+). He has more than 12 years' experience in hardware/software design, including the design of circuit boards for signal processing and smartphone communication. Currently, he develops software for high-performance embedded systems. His books include OpenCL in Action, Automatic Sketchup, Programming the Cell Processor, and SWT/JFace in Action.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.