The CHIP QUIK® SMD Removal Kit is a quick and inexpensive way to remove SMD components from a PCB without a hot air station using only your soldering iron. The heart of the kit is a length of Chipquik low temperature alloy. This alloy is like a solder that melts at temperatures well below that of normal solder (136°F) and stays liquid long enough to melt the existing solder, allowing you time to carefully remove the component.
Simply apply a liberal amount of the included flux to the pins of the chip that you want to remove, then use a soldering iron with a flat-edge tip to heat the pins while applying the low temperature alloy. The alloy will remain liquid for a few seconds while you coat all of the connections, once you’ve coated the pins you should be able to lift the chip free using tweezers or a hemostat. Clean the pads thoroughly and apply fresh solder and you’re ready to solder a new part in place.
Note: Solder wick comes in handy with this kit, so it might be a good idea to have some on hand. Check below if you don’t already have some.
- 1 Tube of CHIP QUIK® Rework Paste Flux
- 2.5 ft. of CHIP QUIK® Low Temperature Alloy (Removes 8-10 Chips)
- Alcohol Prep Pads
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.