HSS (High Speed Steel) drill bits, often sold in hobbyist shops, are not ideal for drilling PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards). HSS drill bits blunt quickly, especially when drilling fibre-glass substrate PCB. They can also flex when drilling through multiple layers, and so drill off-centre.
A Carbide Drill Bit (CDB) is far less prone to these problems. The drill material is much harder and will stay sharper for longer. With the hardness, comes a brittleness, and they require to be treated with more care. They should not be dropped, they are likely to shatter, and they are generally not suitable for hand drills, as any flexing will cause the bit to break. Carbide drill bits should be used with a sturdy drill press. Safety goggles and face mask should be worn at all times when drilling.
The Carbide Drill Bits supplied by Kinsten come with the standard 1/8" shank to suit many drill presses and automatic drilling machines.
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.