Design your own Pi HAT, attach custom circuitry and otherwise dress your Pi A+, B+, or Pi 2 with this jaunty prototyping HAT kit with EEPROM
To kick off the Adafruit HAT party, Adafruit have this Perma-Proto inspired plug in daughter board. It has a grid of 0.1" prototyping soldering holes for attaching chips, resistors, LED, potentiometers and more. The holes are connected underneath with traces to mimic the solderless breadboards you're familiar. There's also long power strips for +3V, +5V and Ground connections to the Pi. Near the top Adafruit break out nearly every pin you could want to connect to the Pi (#26 didnt quite make the cut).
This is the fancier version of Adafruit's Perma-Proto HAT. It comes with a printed circuit board and a single 2x20 GPIO Header for Raspberry Pi to put your Perma-Proto on top of your Raspberry Pi (like a nice little hat...) This version comes with a blank 24C32 I2C EEPROM soldered on and connected to the EEDAT/EECLK lines so you cannot 'stack' it with other HATs. However, you can program in the EEPROM to make a self-identifying setup using the Pi Foundations' HAT specs - please note the specifications are still under development.
You can customize your Perma-Proto setup using a standard 2x20 stacking header or extra tall 2x20 stacking header. You can also swap out the 2x20 header with a slim 2x20 type if you want it to sit closer to the Pi, or an extra tall one if you want it to sit above the USB/Ethernet ports.
A bit of light soldering is required to attach the header to the PCB but it's easy work.
This hat is only compatible with the Raspberry Pi A+, B+, or Pi 2! It will not work with the Raspberry Pi Model A or B.
Adafruit's initial version has the +3V and +5V markings in blue, and the GND markings in red, future orders will have these colors swapped to better match a solderless breadboard
- Header Dimensions: 5mm x 51mm x 12mm / 0.2" x 2" x 0.5"
- PCB Dimensions: 66mm x 57mm x 2mm / 2.6" x 2.2" x 0.1"
- EagleCAD PCB Files available on GitHub
- Fritzing Object available in Adafruit Fritzing Library
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.