One up your plain old character LCD with a gorgeous VFD! These displays look and act just like character LCDs but are way glowier, and are very readable even from a distance. As a bonus, you only need 3 digital pins to control it as it is a SPI/serial interface not parallel.
These are often used at point of sale machines (at the checkout counter) so that's where you can go take a look to see what they appear like in person.
Adafruit don't have a detailed up tutorial yet but Adafruit have do have an Arduino library that works great and has a bunch of examples showing how to do everything from print messages, to scrolling, to making custom characters. Any normal character LCD code can be adapted to this display by turning the parallel interface into a serial interface (check the datasheet for how the data is stored and transmitted)
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $5.78 for Air Mail (3+ days, not tracked)
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.