As electronics get smaller and smaller, you'll need a hand examining PCBs and this little TV-output microscope is the perfect tool. It's smaller and lighter than a large optical microscope but packs quite a bit of power in its little body. There's a 1.3 megapixel sensor inside and an optical magnifier that can adjust to about 25x (for basic PCB inspection) or 400x (for detailed inspection). Eight white LEDs are angled right onto whatever you're examining so you get enough lighting to see, and are smoothly adjustable via a dial on the side.
Compared to Adafruit's popular USB microscope cameras, this one does not plug into a computer. Instead, there's a composite video output. Connect it to any TV (including Adafruit's lovely little displays) and the magnified output will appear in 4:3 aspect ratio.
Adafruit tried a bunch of different AV microscopes and found this one to be the best combination of optical clarity, usability, and price. Because no computer is involved, it is near-instant responsive and much better for rework or soldering-while-inspecting. These microscopes are great for all electronics hacking, rework, SMT (de)soldering, inspection, and soon you'll find yourself pulling it out to look at all sort of cool small stuff around your lab and home.
Package comes with a AV microscope with 4.5ft/140cm long cord, an adjustable metal stand, and a 5V 1A power supply with US prongs. The power adapter is 110-240V so if you have a prong adapter, you can use it in any country.
To demonstrate it, Adafruit show the microscope above with Adafruit's articulated microscope stand and a 7" TV, the TV & stand are not included (but Adafruit have them in the shop and they're great additions).
- Image Sensor: 1.3 megapixel w/high-speed DSP
- 25x or 400x axis micro-lens
- Adjustable focal length, from 10mm-50mm
- Video rate of 30f/s at a brightness of 600 lux
- Flicker control for 50Hz/60Hz
- 8 white LED light, 40000mLux
- 5V adapter 5.5mm/2.1mm jack powered
- Size: 112mm long x 33mm diameter
Color may vary
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.