This Reflective IR Sensor is a simple plastic casing with two elements - an IR LED and an IR phototransistor. You can control the IR LED and turn it on to bounce IR off objects to determine their reflectivity. White & light colored stuff will bounce the light, so you can detect it. Black & dark colored stuff will absorb the IR light so that it isn't detected. Likewise, if something isn't in the way of the sensor, it won't trigger either.
These sensors are handy when you want to detect if something has passed by the sensor, or a very simple hand-detector. Also sometimes these are used as rotary encoder, if the encoder wheel has black and white stripes, the photo sensor is fast enough to tell you the RPM.
Comes with a 470 ohm resistor (for biasing the IR LED) and a 10K resistor which you can use as a pull-up resistor for the phototransistor. The sensor is breadboard friendly and easy to solder to.
This works best when detecting a light-colored object approximately 5mm away - 2mm to 10mm worked fairly well but your results may vary with the LED brightness, object shininess, etc.
- 15mm x 18mm x 5mm / 0.6" x 0.7" x 0.2"
- Weight: 1g
Wiring diagram for example, pin 13 is the LED control pin, pin 9 is the input from the sensor
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.