The Qwiic Distance Sensor uses the new RFD77402 Time of Flight sensor. This sensor is special in that it uses an infrared VCSEL or vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser to measure the amount of time it takes to bounce off a target. This allows low-cost millimeter readings up to 2 meters!
The VCSEL is a class 1 laser product so it is safe for almost all applications. The sensor doesn’t emit visible light but most cell phones can see it!
We’ve written an RFD77402 Arduino library available for download through the integrated Arduino library manager.
The Qwiic system enables fast and solderless connection between popular platforms and various sensors and actuators. You can read more about the Qwiic system here. We carry 50mm, 100mm, 200mm, 500mm, and breadboard friendly Qwiic cables.
We do not plan to regularly produce SparkX products so get them while they’re hot!
- Operating Voltage: 3.3V
- Current: 7mA average at 10Hz
- Measurement range: ~50mm to 2,000mm
- Precision: +/-10%
- Light source: VCSEL 850nm light source
- Field of view: 55°
- Field of illumination: 23°
- Max read rate: 10Hz (in practice we’ve seen nearly 20Hz)
- Dual Qwiic connectors for fast connection and optional daisy-chaining
- I2C Interface up to 1MHz
- On-board 4.7k pull up resistors (removable via jumper)
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.