I wanted to upgrade my media center (RPi B+ with Xbian) to something a bit nicer, more stable and more accessible than just the RPi in a basic plastic case.
I built an enclosure out of wood with aluminum front and rear panels.
All of the connections I wanted to use were broken out from the pi with panel-mount extension cables.
A lot of the electronic parts came from Core Electronics:
- RASPBERRY PI 3
- PANEL MOUNT HDMI CABLE - 40 CM
- PANEL MOUNT ETHERNET EXTENSION CABLE
- USB DIY CONNECTOR SHELL - TYPE A MALE PLUG
- PANEL MOUNT USB TO 4-PIN FEMALE HEADER CABLE - 6'
- PANEL MOUNT 2.1MM DC BARREL JACK
- ROCKER SWITCH - SPST (ROUND)
Enclosure materials include some marine plywood (Bunnings) merbau strip cut from scrap for the front edging and aluminium "propellor" plate (Bunnings).
Here are some shots of the build: