For all those who feared their Game Boy days would be but a memory, worry no more! The Game Boy may be dead, but with this pack you'll have a chance to revive it in style. Adafruit have collected all the right parts so you can assemble the guts of your very own DIY GameGRRL - a portable Raspberry Pi running MAME, NES, Atari2600 and other fine emulators (via RetroPie/EmulationStation)
It's called the Pocket PiGRRL and it's powered by a Raspberry Pi Model A+ and a PiTFT display. You'll have to do all the assembly and installation yourself to get gaming, but Adafruit's learn guide will help you get through the process.
Please note this is not a professional product! It's a DIY kit, and is great fun to build, but it may not have great emulation, video, audio etc.
The Pocket PiGRRL Pack has just about everything you need to make this project EXCEPT the case. You will need to 3D print your own case - but check out our 3D printing guide for the pack so you or your friend can 3D print an enclosure. You will also need to solder together the parts so many hand tools and other small parts such as screws or blue tack are required. Please read through the tutorial so you can see what else is needed to complete this project
Powerboost may have an off-white or black JST connector.
Please note this is a medium-difficulty project that uses many Maker skills such as soldering, 3D printing, Dremeling, and installing Linux!
This pack includes:
- 1x Adafruit PiTFT 2.4" HAT Mini Kit - 320x240 TFT Touchscreen
- 1x PowerBoost 1000 Charger - Rechargeable 5V Lipo USB Boost @ 1A - 1000C
- 1x Adafruit Mono 2.5W Class D Audio Amplifier - PAM8302
- 1x Adafruit Perma-Proto Half-sized Breadboard PCB - Single
- 1x GPIO Ribbon Cable for Raspberry Pi Model A and B - 26 pin
- 1x Tactile Button switch (6mm) x 20 pack
- 1x Tactile Switch Buttons (6mm slim) x 20 pack
- 1x Tactile Switch Buttons (12mm square, 6mm tall) x 10 pack
- 1x Mini Metal Speaker w/ Wires - 8 ohm 0.5W
- 1x Breadboard-friendly SPDT Slide Switch
- 1x 8GB MicroSD Card with NOOBS 1.9
You will need to provide
As of July 20th, 2016 Adafruit are no longer shipping these with a Raspberry Pi A+. There's a lot of Pis out in the world and Adafruit are hoping this will help get you your PiGRRL faster!
As of July 20th, Adafruit have also removed the Lithium Ion Battery - 3.7v 2000mAh from this pack to make air shipping easier.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.