Adafruit's pirate friends at Pimoroni have taken the I2S mono DAC and amplifier that they used on Speaker pHAT and Picade HAT and added a second one for stereo goodness. pHAT BEAT gives you high-quality, digital, amplified, stereo audio and 16 beautiful little RGB LEDs, in two rows of 8, that are ideal as a VU meter, and 6 buttons to control your audio. There's a nifty little DIP switch on the bottom of the board that lets you select either mono (left and right are blended through both channels) or stereo playback. The clip-in terminals make it super-simple to wire in your speakers.
The two rows of 8 APA102 RGB LEDs make the perfect VU meter, but can be coded to do whatever you wish, like displaying the steps on a step sequencer Drum HAT or Piano HAT, or just pulsing in time with the beat.
The six buttons on the edges of pHAT BEAT are linked direct to GPIO, and can be used for whatever you wish, although Pimoroni suggests some uses on the board, like rewind, play/pause, fast-forward, volume up and down, and power.
Use pHAT BEAT to create a gorgeous little radio for your desk, to stream music from iPhone with Airplay, or turn it into a collaborative Slack-controlled Spotify player for your office! You also might recognize pHAT BEAT from Pimoroni's Pirate Radio Project Kit.
- Dual I2S DAC/amplifiers for stereo audio (MAX98357A)
- 3W per channel
- 2x push fit speaker terminals
- DIP switch to select blended mono or stereo modes
- 16 RGB LED pixels (APA102) in 2 rows of 8
- 6 edge-mounted push buttons
- pHAT BEAT pinout
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3, 2, B+, A+, Zero, Zero W
- Software installer and ALSA VU meter plugin
- Python library
- Female header requires soldering
Note: Pi zero and case are not included!
Software: Pimoroni has created a nifty one-line installer to get your pHAT BEAT set up in the blink of an eye. It'll reconfigure your ALSA audio to route it out through pHAT BEAT and install Adafruit's VU meter plugin to display the volume levels in real time (although you can disable this and code the LEDs yourself).
Product Dimensions: 65.2mm x 30.0mm x 6.2mm / 2.6" x 1.2" x 0.2"
Product Weight: 8.8g / 0.3oz
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.