The latest and greatest MiniPOV kit to hit the streets - MiniPOV4! Adafruit have added full color RGB LEDs to the kit as well USB programmability to make this the easiest, most fun Persistence-of-Vision & Light Painting kit ever.
Learn to solder by building this easy kit. About 30 components are soldered onto the custom PCB using a soldering iron, solder and some basic hand tools such as diagonal cutters and wire strippers. Learn as you go, starting with the easier parts and working your way up to the more challenging ones. Takes about an hour or two to complete following Adafruit's detailed tutorial, depending on your previous soldering experience.
Once finished, you'll have a little battery-powered light painting kit! Insert three AAA batteries (not included, pick some up here or use any you have lying around the house) and wave around to create light trails. The way Adafruit's eyes work, as the LEDs move Adafruit see the image as if it were floating in the air. You can also use a camera with a medium-long exposure to create a light painting as shown above.
Design your own 8-pixel tall images in any drawing program and import them into Adafruit's software to upload your own custom designs. Simply plug into your computer's USB port and run Adafruit's Processing sketch - it works on any Windows or Mac computer! (Adafruit are still testing Linux support, coming soon!)
Each order comes as a kit of parts. Some soldering and tools are required to put together but its a nice learning-to-solder kit and with patience and a couple of hours can be assembled by any beginner. Check out Adafruit's very detailed tutorial with full color images and all downloads for all information.
- Dimensions (PCB only): 64mm x 38mm x 1.6mm (2.5" x 1.5" x 0.06")
- Dimensions (assembled): 70mm x 39mm x 30mm (2.8" x 1.5" x 1.2")
- Assembled Weight (w/o AAA batteries): 43g
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.