|MaxBotix ultrasonic sensor line comparison chart.|
The Maxbotics XL-MaxSonar family of sonar range finders offers very short- to long-range detection and ranging in an incredibly small package with low power consumption. The XL-MaxSonar detects objects from 0 to 7.65 meters (25 feet) and provides sonar range information beyond 20 cm (8") with a resolution of 1 cm resolution (0.4 in). Objects between 0 and 20 cm range as 20 cm. An efficient transformer uses 0.5 W of power to drive the transducer, yielding high-output acoustic power. This acoustic power, combined with continuously-variable gain, real-time automatic calibration, real-time waveform signature analysis, and real-time noise rejection algorithms, results in virtually noise-free distance readings for most applications, even in the presence of various acoustic or electrical noise sources. The XL-MaxSonar distance sensor is available in five factory-calibrated beam patterns (EZ/AE0-4).
For a less-expensive, lower-resolution, shorter-range version, please consider the LV-MaxSonar-EZ family of distance sensors.
Specifications and Features
- Small and light: 0.870" x 0.785" x 0.989" (2.2 x 2.0 x 2.5 cm), 0.22 oz (6.1 g)
- Long range detection: 0 – 7.65 m (25 ft)
- No dead zone; detections from 0 to 20 cm (8 in) are output as 20 cm
- Resolution of 1 cm (0.4 in)
- Low typical current consumption: 3.4 mA at 5 V, 2.1 mA at 3.3 V
- Runs on 3.3 – 5 V
- 42 kHz ultrasonic sensor
- 10 Hz reading rate
- Readings can be triggered externally or internally
- Supports three interfaces (all are active simultaneously):
- Serial output of distance reading: asynchronous, logic-level (TTL), inverted, 9600 bps 8N1
- Analog output of distance reading: (Vcc/1024) / cm (4.9 mV/cm when input voltage Vcc = 5 V)
- Pulse width output of distance reading: 58 μs/cm (147 μs/in) on EZ models only
- Analog voltage envelope of return acoustic wave form on AE models only
Selecting the right distance sensor
Since there are 15 members of the XL- and LV-MaxSonar acoustic distance sensor family, Pololu recommend using the Maxbotix sonar range finder selection guide when choosing a acoustic range sensor for your application. There are 5 different beam configurations for the XL-MaxSonar family (EZ/AE0-4), each pictured below, and two output types: EZ and AE. Both models report a distance reading through an analog voltage output and a serial interface. The EZ models also report the distance reading as a high-accuracy digital pulse width, while the AE models report a real-time analog envelope of the detected acoustic reflections. The analog envelope is an time-varying analog signal representing the acoustic waveform received by the transducer. External processing of this analog envelope allows for the simultaneous detection of multiple objects at different distances. Please see the picture above for an example of the analog envelope output.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Getting Hands-on with Sensors
What good is a robot if it can’t interact with the environment around it? Sensors are the backbone of almost every electronics project as they allow your program to make decisions based on external stimuli. We’ve got sensors for all kinds...
- IoT Plant Monitor
So, my wife wanted to have some small plants in the house. I didn’t, so we compromised, and got some plants. The only thing is that neither of us remembers to water them, so I wanted to build a sensor array to monitor the moisture content of the soil, and notify us when they needed watering. We’ve got 3 plants, all fairly close to each other, and I wanted to create an IoT project so that it could send an email notifi...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.