Johnny-Five is an Open Source Robotics and IoT platform based on theIO-Plugin protocol. Released by Bocoup in 2012, Johnny-Five is maintained by a community of passionate software developers and hardware engineers. Over 75 developers have made contributions towards building a robust, extensible and composable ecosystem.
The on-line Experiment Guide for the J5IK (that will be released when the kit starts shipping) contains step by step instructions of how to connect each circuit with the included parts. Full example code is provided and explained and even includes troubleshooting tips if something goes wrong.
The kit does not require any soldering and is recommended for anyone comfortable learning new programming languages or if you are looking for an alternative to the original SparkFun Inventor’s Kit.
Note: This product is available for pre-order. We expect to have these in stock and shipping by June 29. Adding a pre-order product to an order may cause a delay. Be sure to uncheck ‘ship complete order’ in your cart to avoid delays in shipping in-stock items.
- Experiment 1: Blink
- Experiment 2: Multiple LEDs
- Experiment 3: Reading a Sensor - Potentiometer
- Experiment 4: Reading a Button
- Experiment 5: Reading a Switch
- Experiment 6: Reading a Light Sensor
- Experiment 7: Fading an LED
- Experiment 8: Controlling an RGB LED
- Experiment 9: Using an H-Bridge - Motor Control
- Experiment 10: I2C Sensor with BMP180
- Experiment 11: Moisture Sensor
- Experiment 12: LCD Screen
- Experiment 13: Shift Register + LEDs
- Experiment 14: Shift Register + Seven Segment
- Tessel 2
- White Breadboard
- SparkFun Motor Driver
- SparkFun Soil Moisture Sensor (With Screw Terminals)
- SparkFun BMP180 Breakout (With Headers)
- 16x2 Character LCD - White on Black (With Headers)
- 7 Segment Display
- Hobby Gearmotor (Pair)
- Shift Register
- Magnetic Door Switch Set
- Mini Photocell
- Switch (SPDT)
- Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green Tactile Buttons
- Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green LEDs
- RGB LED
- Trimpot - 10K
- Jumper Wires - M/M 6"
- USB microB Cable - 6 Foot
- Wall Charger - 5V USB (1A)
- 10K Ohm Resistors
- 330 Ohm Resistors
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.