Make a lovely video setup with a 7" screen at 800x480 resolution. For this model, Adafruit tried to get an inexpensive 800x480 display that was still high quality and would be good for embedded computing usage. The visible display measures 7" diagonal and is a 'raw TTL' display, the model has an extra-bright backlight that looks much better than other 7" TFTs Adafruit have tested. Adafruit include a driver board with HDMI, VGA and Composite inputs. The setup is very easy to use - simply connect a 5-12VDC adapter to the 2.1mm center-positive DC jack, then connect a digital video source to one of the ports . Voilà, a display!
This version comes in 800x480 instead of the more expensive 1280x800 display. It's also not IPS so it's not good for wide-angle visibility. That said, it does work quite well and at a great price.
There's a little wired PCB with little buttons that let you enter a menu system for adjusting brightness, color and contrast. It tries to auto-detect which input you have and switches to that one or you can 'select' from the menu which to display.
To demonstrate it, Adafruit took some photos with the display connected to a Raspberry Pi, but it will also work connected to any device with HDMI, VGA or NTSC/PAL output. It will not work with a device that only outputs DVI (without a DVI to HDMI converter) or SECAM.
For use with a Raspberry Pi we suggest editing config.txt to set the HDMI to 800x480 in case it doesn't detect the resolution properly. You can see Adafruit's suggested config.txt in the Technical details tab. The easiest way to edit the config.txt is to put the Pi SD card into an every day computer and edit config.txt with any text editor and save.
For use with a BeagleBone Black running Ubuntu/Debian, Adafruit found it works when plugged in, no configuration required.
A power adapter is NOT included. You will need to either purchase a 5-12VDC adapter or you can use one you've already got around the house. Adafruit show the display on a bent wire stand which is not included, but you can pick one up here.
- Driver Datasheet
- Keyboard Datasheet
- Power with 5-24VDC
- 16:10 display ratio
- Resolution: 800 x 480
- Visible area: 154mm x 86mm 16:10
- Display dimensions: 165mm x 100mm x 6mm (6.5" x 3.9" x 0.2")
- Brightness: 400cd/m2
- Contrast: 500:1
- Uses an AT070TN94 display - with a brighter backlight than the AT070TN90 or AT070TN92
- Weight (excluding power cable): 144g
- Not HDCP compatible - it cannot be used with 'secured' HDMI sources
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.