Yes, this is a cute little 5" TFT display with WVGA 800x480 resolution and a cute little driver board. Adafruit tried to get the smallest display that would be good for embedded computing usage and at a good price. And They also tried to match it with a small driver board that can be powered from a USB port. The visible display measures 5" diagonal and is a 'raw' TTL display as is used in portable electronics. The driver board only has an HDMI input but for Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black and other computers, HDMI is the best quality output available. The display is very easy to use - simply connect the USB power cable to 5V power supply that can provide 500mA, then connect a digital video source to one of the HDMI port. Voila, a display!
It is not an IPS display so its best for direct viewing, Adafruit's 7" and 10" HDMI IPS displays are designed for any angle view.
There's a little wired PCB with little buttons that let you enter a menu system for adjusting brightness, color and contrast. It tries to auto-detect which input you have and switches to that one or you can 'select' from the menu keypad which to display.
To demonstrate it, Adafruit took some photos with the display connected to a Raspberry Pi, but it will also work connected to any device with HDMI output.
For use with a Raspberry Pi we suggest editing config.txt to set the HDMI to 800x480 in case it doesn't detect the resolution properly. You can see Adafruit's suggested config.txt in the Technical details tab. The easiest way to edit the config.txt is to put the Pi SD card into an every day computer and edit config.txt with any text editor and save. For use with a Beagle Bone Black, Adafruit found it works when plugged in, no configuration required.
Adafruit show the TFT above on a wire stand, which is not included. You can pick up one of these nice stands over here. If you want to extend the FPC cable between the driver and the TFT, you can grab a 10" long cable and swap it for the 4" one included.
A power adapter is not included or required! Use a 500mA-capable 5V USB port or you can cut the USB power cable and re-wire to another 5V source.
- Driver Datasheet
- Keyboard Datasheet
- Dimensions of Screen: 76mm x 121mm x 3mm / 3" x 4.8" x 0.1"
- Dimensions of Mini Driver Board: 50mm x 71mm x 2mm / 2" x 2.8" x 0.08"
- Weight of Screen: 61g
- Power with 5V, 500mA draw
- Resolution: 800 x 480
- Visible area: 108mm x 65mm 16:10
- Brightness: 200cd/m2
- Contrast: 300:1
- Adafruit ship with a an KD050G21-40N display, or equivalent
- Display dimensions: 121mm x 76 x 3.1 mm
- Not HDCP compatible - it cannot be used with 'secured' HDMI sources
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.