Atlas Scientific is on a mission to make high-quality sensors for environmental monitoring available to everyday hackers and makers. All of their kits are easy to calibrate and connect to your microcontroller-based project.
Color light sensors are awesome devices for everything from environmental sensors to general robotics. They can be used to monitor slowly changing events like algae blooms or leaf death, or to determine light absorption through a medium. But for all their utility, they have some flaws. First off, they can be complicated to interface to since RGB data often has to be derived using complex signal processing. Secondly, they’re less than rugged, and when you want to deploy one in the field you need a device that can stand up to the weather. Even moisture in the air can make an unprotected sensor unreliable.
Atlas solved these problems by embedding the light sensor in a rugged housing below a layer of transparent epoxy which protects the sensor from moisture while still allowing light to get in. The resulting light probe is water- and dust-proof, sleet and ice tolerant, non reactive in salt water and will readily sink when submerged. On top of all that, it provides both RGB level (in 8-bit RGB format) and light intensity (in lux) as simple comma separated strings over RS-232!
- R,G,B data is in true 8-bit RGB format from 0-255
- light intensity is output in lux (lx)
- lx given for R ,G and B as well as full spectrum lx
- RGB color data and lx can be output simultaneously
- lx range from 0- 3,235 lux
- Light saturation indicator if lx is over 3,235
- Three different output modes:
- RGB only
- Lx only
- RGB and lx
- Data output is a single comma separated string
- Simple RS-232 connectivity (voltage swing 0-VCC)
- Harsh environment ready: NEMA 6P and IP 68 rated
- Wide operating temperature range: -40 Celsius to +85 Celsius
- Simple instruction set consisting of only 5 commands
- Reading time: 620ms
- Wide operating voltage range: 3.1V to 5.5V
- Shock resistant to 16 mega Pascals
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.