You will chirp with delight when you see how easy it is to make your very own 8x16 LED matrix display for any Feather. This kit combines two of Adafruit's adorable miniature LED matrices with a FeatherWing driver board. At 0.8" square, these little 8x8 matrices have got everything a big LED matrix has, but bite sized! Double them up for 128 total bright blue LEDs.
Normally, wiring up 8x16 matrices would require a breath-taking 24 GPIO pins, which is way too many pins. That's where this lovely 16x8 LED matrix backpack PCB comes in. It contains a HT16K33 I2C LED matrix driver that does all the multiplexing work for you, and is controlled over the two I2C pins. It's easy to use, has a portable library that runs on any of Adafruit's Feathers to turn on/off each LED.
The 16x8 backpack is also great for making scrolling displays or small video displays. In Adafruit's example, Adafruit set it up to display small bitmap emoticons but you can also display text that moves - kind of like a sign in front of a miniature car dealership.
This kit comes with:
- A fully tested and assembled 16x8 0.8" LED FeatherWing
- 2 x ultra-bright square 8x8 blue matrices
- 2 x 16-pin header
A bit of soldering is required to attach the two matrices onto the FeatherWing but its very easy to do and only takes about 15 minutes.
The board/chip uses 12C 7-bit address between 0x70-0x77, selectable with jumpers
- FeatherWing Dimensions: 51mm x 23mm x 5mm / 2.0" x 0.9" x 0.2"
- FeatherWing Weight: 6.3g
- Mini LED Matrix Display Dimensions: 20mm x 20mm x 6mm / 0.8" x 0.8" x 0.2"
- Mini LED Matrix Display Height w/ Pins: 13mm / 0.5"
- Mini LED Matrix Display Weight: 3g
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.