This XINO basic is the "little brother" to the XINO Pro for PIC. Designed to be the most economic way possible of running a PIC or PICAXE/Genie with Arduino shaped plug and play shields.
The inspiration for this adapter board came from a number of educational users. They said they wanted a child friendly development board like the XINO Pro but at pocket money prices. Ciseco like a challenge, so the thoughts began.............
- It had to be very low cost.
- It had to support a wide range of microcontrollers, especially those that were already "in education", as well as "proper" compilers for bare PIC's.
- It had to remain "Arduino" shaped.
- It had to be robust enough for tiny hands.
What we ended up with surprised even us. It achieved the goals set and had equal appeal to any age or experience, this wasn't just a "board for kids".
- Designed to support serial "bootloading" of PIC devices (PIC not supplied). We sell either the 3.3v 18F25K20 or the new 5v capable 18F25K22 see our other items. Many other PICs can be used, we just think these represent the best value at the moment. The bootloader (opensource DS30) can use with any PIC compiler. Can be fully integrated into Amicus and Swordfish IDE's.
- Designed to support a range of PICAXE's/Genie and bare PIC's. (The chip is not included). Currently the stereo jack supports programming of PICAXE's we are working on the least cost option for PIC's using the DS30 bootloader the XINO Pro uses. Has been tested with the Genie E28 also via this method.
- Plug and play, be running in no time, no more frustrating breadboarding of bare chips.
- Supports 18 and 28 pin devices. (Only one can be installed at once).
- Easily "stack" add on boards (shields) see our other items.
- Can be battery powered by 2 or 3x1.5v cells.
- A project developed on a PICAXE/Genie is easily transferred to another PIC language/compiler as the boards are identical for all PIC based devices. This means you can cut your teeth on PICAXE basic or Genie flow diagrams then move to other BASIC's or C, PASCAL, assembler etc without changing your hardware.
- Through holes to add an external crystal and load capacitors.
- New design: has a power LED, you asked so we put one on.
- 5 way serial header now brings out MCUPWR rail and RESET. This is for our forthcoming serial programmer which will program PICAXE, PIC, Atmel and XRF boards. You can use a generic FTDI board, max232 boards with plain old serial and even those bargain basement CA-42 phone cables which use the prolific chipset. For auto reset you need DTR or you can, like in the old design manually press reset to invoke the bootloader. (Not applicable for PICAXE/Genie as they use a different method, which is fully supported via the stereo jack).
- Right angled side facing reset switch. Much easier to press when boards are stacked above.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $9.95 for Express Post (Overnight for most of Australia, 2+ days for rural, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.