The SparkFun Inventor's Kit (SIK for short) is our top recommended way to get started with Arduino. At the heart of the kit is a SparkFun RedBoard, which is a completely Arduino compatible board, built from the exact Open Source designs of the original Arduino. You also get a tonne of components and a comprehensive, well-designed and written guide. This kit will bring all of the in-and-outs of Arduino to light!
- Skill up in Arduino - This kit is built upon the Arduino Uno r3 design, using a SparkFun RedBoard to connect and code your project. It's completely compatible with the Arduino IDE and behaves just like an Uno!
- Prototyping hardware - You'll get all the jumper wires, breadboards, platforms and cables you need to prototype electronics circuits on your bench
- Guided projects and going further - There are 5 in-depth projects, each comprising of 3-4 individual circuits that you build and code. Each circuit extends your learning further by giving open challenges to you to try and solve.
- Electronics Concepts and Principles - The guide book is awesome! Not only will you have all code, wiring diagrams and schematics, but you'll also get succinct explanations of the principles as they are explored. Neat.
- Compatible parts and components - Resistors, Sensors, Motors, LCD screens. SparkFun have included all the big ticket items that you will want to use when developing your projects.
- Zero Soldering - Soldering is part of electronic circuit prototyping, but this kit utilises breadboarding to build circuits. That means all the components are reusable and more importantly, that you won't need to worry about a soldering iron.
- Online Guidance - If you prefer to learn alongside a PC screen, that experience is covered with the online learning guide. Great to have a reference to the circuit whilst reading the code.
What do you need to use the SparkFun Inventor's Kit
Everything from the absolute start is explained in the online guide/guide book but we'll dive into it here too.
To program an Arduino you'll need a PC/Mac with the Arduino IDE (Coding Environment) installed. Once you're at this point, connect the board (Cable Included) to the PC and set it up in the IDE. Then there's nothing more other than making projects and writing code!
What you get in the kit
- SparkFun RedBoard
- Arduino and Breadboard Holder
- SparkFun Inventor’s Kit Guidebook
- White Solderless Breadboard
- Carrying Case (Ultra-Durable)
- SparkFun Mini Screwdriver
- 16x2 White-on-Black LCD (with headers)
- SparkFun Motor Driver (with Headers)
- Pair of Rubber Wheels
- Pair of Hobby Gearmotors
- Small Servo
- Ultrasonic Sensor
- TMP36 Temp Sensor
- 6' SparkFun USB Cable
- Jumper Wires
- Tricolor LED
- Red, Blue, Yellow and Green LEDs
- Red, Blue, Yellow and Green Tactile Buttons
- 10K Trimpot
- Mini Power Switch
- Piezo Speaker
- AA Battery Holder
- 330 and 10K Resistors
- Binder Clip
- Dual-Lock™ Fastener
Additional Resources and information
Here's a short list of the related information that you're bound to want to check out. You can download the guidebook (free) from the kit to check out the projects and information too!
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Arduino Workshop for Beginners
Welcome to the Arduino Workshop, where you'll be able to follow our guided course which covers everything you'll need to know in order to create your own Arduino projects and become a leveled up maker. My name is Sam and along with being a maker my...
- Arduino Projects with Motion (Using Sparkfun RedBoard)
Arduino Projects with Motion (Using Sparkfun RedBoard) Welcome to the Third Project Set from the Sparkfun Inventors Kit V4.0 Guide! In this tutorial, we will explore the operation of a Servo Motor and an UltraSonic Sensor in combination with some ot...
- Arduino Projects with Sound (Using Sparkfun RedBoard)
Project Set 2 – Sound Welcome to the second Project Set from the Sparkfun Inventors Kit V4.0 Guide! In our last Project Set, we explored the basics of the Arduino IDE, some electrical and electronic concepts and looked at various electri...
- Arduino Projects with Robotics Using the Sparkfun RedBoard
Welcome to the final Project Set of the Sparkfun Inventors Kit! This Project Set focuses on Robotics with the final Circuit being an Autonomously Driving Vehicle! New components introduced in this tutorial are: DC Motor/Gearbox Motor Driver...
- Arduino Projects with an LCD (Using Sparkfun RedBoard)
Arduino Projects with an LCD (Using Sparkfun RedBoard) Welcome to Project Set 4 in the Sparkfun Inventors Kit Guide! In this tutorial, we will look into using Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD's) to print data. This ability allows us to remotely set up a...
- Getting Started with Arduino Using the Sparkfun RedBoard
Welcome to the Sparkfun Inventors Kit (SIK) Ver 4.0 tutorial page. In this beginner’s tutorial, we will explore the basics of microcontroller programming and circuit electronics through a series of projects that are provided in the Sparkfu...
- GraviTrack Enhancements - Lights and Sound
Introduction Searching for solar panels and related items on the Core Electronics website; I came across the Solarbotics GraviTrack Marble Machine Kit. I thought the kit would be a good educational tool for the grandkids. The kit was a hit, but the power switch was hard to access at the back of the machine and it only turned on and off. I had been experimenting with programmable RGB LEDs, Piezo speakers and a Light dependent re...
- My ghostbusters proton pack
Hi all. Thought I'd share with you my modded Spirit Halloween proton pack. It's about 80% scale, which is plenty big enough for my 7-year-old son, and still looks decently sized on adults. As soon as I learned of this pack, 5-year-old me just had to get one. And I had just gotten my Arduino beginners kit a week earlier. I knew what had to be done :)...
Tabot is a robotic tablet dispenser. It is designed to help elderly people maintain their independence and help anyone who has tablets remember to take them on time.
- Cosplay Blaster
Hey guys! First time poster. I've been working on a blaster for my girlfriend's costume, and I thought I would share it with everyone. When triggered, it plays a selected sound effect and flashes the light. Pretty simple :)
- Coffee Grinder With Arduino
Using a few bits and pieces, this ordinary coffee grinder now has two presets to run the motor for a programmable length of time. The idea being that the grinder running for a set amount of time will deliver a certain amount of coffee each button press meaning the beans can be stored unground, keeping them fresher for longer. I completed this project for a friend, Ian, who lives for coffee. Ian wanted the same functionality in h...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $9.95 for Express Post (Overnight for most of Australia, 2+ days for rural, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.