Make a scrolling sign, or a small video display with this 8x8 gridded red LED matrix. Only 1.2" on a side, it is quite visible but not so large it wont plug into a breadboard! 64 red 400mcd LEDs are contained inside the plastic body, in an 8x8 matrix. There are 16 pins on the side, 8 on each, with 0.1" spacing so you can easily plug it into a breadboard with one row on each side for wiring it up.
Since the display is in a grid, you'll need to 1:8 multiplex control it. We suggest either using a 74HC595 and TPIC6B595 (using the 74HC' to control the 8 anodes at once and then using the TPIC' to drive one cathode at a time) or just using a single MAX7219 which will do the multiplexing work for you.
The Arduino playground has a nice set of tutorials introducing the MAX7219 and 8x8 LED matrices
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $9.95 for Express Post (Overnight for most of Australia, 2+ days for rural, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.