Kitronik's BBC micro:bit controlled Line Following Buggy uses two LDRs (light dependant resistors) as sensors to control a line following board on the bottom of the chassis to 'follow' black lines.
Two LEDs shine light from underneath the buggy down onto the floor and a pair of LDRs measure how much light is reflected. When the sensor is moved over a black line the level of reflected light decreases and the sensor sends a signal to the BBC micro:bit through the motor driver board. The BBC micro:bit then uses that information to steer back toward the line. It does this by switching off either the left motor to turn left or the right motor to turn right.
Code for the line following function is available below. The buggy can easily be customised and to help you get started we have also supplied code for Bump 'n' Spin functionality using the BBC micro:bit's on-board accelerometer. Save the code to your account and get customising!
This kit requires assembly. BBC micro:bit NOT included. If you also require a BBC micro:bit, you can order one here.
- Simple to build buggy.
- BBC micro:bit controlled.
- Automatic line following.
- 2 x Right Angle Hobby Geared Motor.
- 2 x Wheel for Hobby Motor.
- 1 x Motor Driver Board V2 for the BBC micro:bit.
- 1 x Buggy Chassis.
- 2 x M3 30mm Pozi Pan Machine Screw.
- 8 x M3 6mm Machine Screw.
- 2 x M3 Full Width Nut.
- 4 x M3 20mm Plastic Spacer.
- 1 x 8mm x 12mm x 25mm Foam Pad.
- 1 x 15cm Length Black Wire.
- 1 x 15cm Length White Wire.
- 1 x 15cm Length Green Wire.
- 1 x 15cm Length Blue Wire.
- 1 x Metal Ball Caster.
- 1 x 4xAA Battery Box with Switch.
- 1 x Line Following Board Kit.
- 4 x AA Batteries.
- A small flat head screwdriver.
- Wire strippers.
- A soldering iron and some solder.
- A pair of pliers.
- A Phillips screwdriver.
- A computer with a spare USB port and internet access.
- 1 x BBC micro:bit.
- A USB to micro USB cable.
- Black insulation tape
- Build Instructions.
- Line following code.
- Bump 'n' Spin code.
- Remote control code.
- Bitty game controller iOS.
- Bitty game controller Android.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- micro:bit in the classroom
Check out our Getting started with micro:bit video if you'd like to see a quick tutorial on writing a program, start-to-finish, with a micro:bit. In a Nutshell The micro:bit is a versatile and classroom-friendly, programmable electronics b...
- Getting Started with micro:bit
Check out our micro:bit in the classroom video if you'd like to see how micro:bit integrates into classrooms, years 7-12. After a quick review of the hardware, we'll fire up a micro:bit and write our first program. All you'll need for this tu...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.