Filaform Select ABS
ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) is one of the most commonly used, and most versatile materials available for 3D printing today. Filaform Select ABS is a strong and very rigid plastic perfect for prototyping and end-use parts.
Produced in a temperature and humidity controlled environment, contamination from airborne particulates or moisture cannot reach the material during production. The extrusion machinery is cleaned after every run to guarantee each spool is free from imperfections.
Intelligently Wound Spooling
Each spool is perfectly wound by sophisticated electronics, placing each layer of filament side by side and with even tension. This results in a tangle-free unwinding, eliminating failed prints caused by crossed over filament.
Remaining Filament Estimator
The clear spools have markings on the sides, indicating the length of filament remaining. This allows you to quickly judge if you have sufficient material to complete a job.
Large Centre Hub
The uniquely designed spool has a large centre hub that reduces the radial stress on the filament. This greatly reduces the tendency to "pig tail" when you get close to the end of the roll. This can be especially apparent with 2.85mm PLA.
Tips & Tricks for printing with ABS
The printing temperature guideline for printing with our ABS filament is approximately 230°C to 250°C. As each desktop 3D printer has its own unique characteristics, you might need to tweak your temperature settings a bit to obtain the best results. To obtain optimal results for your prints you need to take into account variables like your 3D printer’s nozzle diameter, your printing speed settings, and layer height.
It is recommended to use a heated print bed when printing ABS. ABS has a tendency to warp, which makes it a difficult material to print without a heated print bed. Ideally, your print bed temperature should be set at approximately 80° to 110 ° C.
A good first layer adhesion is of the utmost importance in obtaining the best results for your prints. There are several tricks to get the first layer of your ABS print to stick better to the print bed of your 3D printer.
- Use polyimide tape (Kapton). ABS prints usually stick better to polyimide tape than to the print bed. When preparing the print bed it is better to have small gaps between your strokes of tape, rather than having overlaps. Overlaps of smaller pieces of tape may cause difficulties later on during the print process.
- Coat your print bed with hairspray. ABS has a tendency to stick really well to extra strong hairsprays.
- Coat your print bed with ABS juice. Dissolve a little piece of ABS in 50ml of Acetone. The acetone should get slightly cloudy. To make the surface of your print bed more sticky, you can lightly coat your print bed with this cloudy ABS/Acetone mixture. Please make sure not to use too much ABS in your juice as it will make your prints stick too well and be extremely difficult to remove.
- Coat your print bed with a gluestick. Recently using a light coating of glue from a glue-stick has become a popular choice to aid in adhesion.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.