We know what you’re thinking, “What’s the big deal? Looks like an SD card…” Well this is no SD card! The Electric Imp is a WiFi enabled development platform powered by a Cortex-M3 processor core. “Really?” Yup.
In essence, the Imp provides an easy, integrated way to connect almost any hardware device both to other devices and to internet services. It’s more than just a WiFi card, or even a WiFi module with processing built in - it’s an integrated platform that deals with the drudgery of connectivity, allowing you to concentrate on the application instead of the mechanics.
It does this by integrating an 802.11b/g/n WiFi transceiver, a great antenna, a Cortex-M3 core and lots of flexible I/O in a tiny package. But the hardware is only part of what makes the Electric Imp an innovative platform. The development environment and workflow is totally cloud-based and in-browser! Simply program the Imp with your WiFi Network information using your iOS or Android smartphone (Optically! No special hardware required!) then log on to the Electric Imp developer website and program your module over-the-air!
Development is done in-browser and in a language called “Squirrel,” which is a C-like language with extensions to communicate with the hardware interfaces and the service. Thanks to cloud-power, you get many big system benefits like buffered I/O and crash recovery - plus you can push updates to devices in the field with a few clicks. There’s even a Planner tool that makes it easy to design interactivity between your Imps.
Note: Although, the Electric Imp comes in an SD form factor, it isn’t compatible with standard SD devices. Development boards are available, though, in the related items below!
Dimensions: 32 x 24 x 2.1mm
- Super Small Form Factor
- WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption
- Cortex-M3 core gives great performance combined with low power consumption
- 6 I/O - UARTs, I2C, SPI, analog in and out, PWMs, GPIOs… all selectable under software control
- No SDK to install, no JTAG pods, no long download times… you develop your code in a browser-based IDE
- Software that runs on the Imp is written in Squirrel, a C-like language
- Data passes to and from the service over a TLS encrypted interface
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- How to use an ESP8266 in the Arduino IDE
In August of 2014 Shanghai-based chip manufacturer, Espressif, released a ultra-cheap Serial to Wi-Fi chip called the ESP-01. At the heart of the ESP01 was an ESP8266 chip broken out into the 8 pins needed to program it via a microcontroller. You cou...
- IoT Chicken Shed (Arduino, Wifi)
If you have chickens and find you're not always available to close the gate at night or check the water levels each day, then why not use an ESP8266 to automate your chicken door and receive alerts door status and low water level, as well as allow you to remotely control the door from anywhere over the internet. ...
- AWS Lambda with Temperature data and the ESP32
In this project, I'm using an esp32 board combined with a thermistor, plus an Amazon Web Services Lambda API plus some web charting code for temperature sensing. Source code can be found in the GitHub repository: https://github.com/AcrossTheCloud/temperature-iot...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.