Adafruit have some great waterproof and weather-proof items in the adafruit shop, but once you have a project built, you'll want to enclose it. But how to keep an enclosure weather/waterproof while still attaching cables for power, data or sensors? That's where cable glands come in. By installing these over the cable, they form-fit to make a seal, keeping your project box innards safe from the outdoors.
Adafruit have two sizes, the PG-7 size is good for cables 0.118" to 0.169" diameter and this one, the PG-9 size, which is good for 0.158" - 0.252" diameter. These two are the most common sizes for power & data cables, be sure to measure them so you have the proper fit.
Adafruit Best-Friend-Forever (BFF) Akiba over at Freaklabs.org has a great tutorial about how to use cable glands to keep waterproof enclosures waterproof, even with power or data or sensor cables coming out. Please check it out for some excellent information about how to use them!
- As of Oct 20, 2014 we are now selling these pre-assembled and with an o-ring
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.