Clearance: This product is being replaced by the RN-41 Bluetooth Module Carrier and will be discontinued when stock runs out. This product has firmware version 4.77. The replacement has version 6.15.
This simple DIP breakout board from SparkFun for the Roving Networks RN-41 Bluetooth module lets you add a Bluetooth interface to a device that has a 3.3V serial port. Two 0.1" headers spaced 0.8" apart makes it easy to use with standard solderless breadboards and 0.1" perfboards. All pertinent pins are broken out and labeled.
The RN-41 Bluetooth module is designed to replace serial cables; the Bluetooth stack is completely encapsulated. Using the TX and RX pins, the end user just deals with serial bytes: press the “A” character from a terminal program on your computer and an “A” will be pushed out the TX pin of the Bluetooth module. For computers that do not already have Bluetooth radios, you can use a USB-to-serial adapter to connect the Bluetooth module to a computer.
Warning: The RN-41 is a 3.3V device. Attaching it directly to a computer’s RS-232-voltage-level serial port will break it. External components (such as voltage dividers) are required when interfacing with 5V systems.
- Fully-qualified Bluetooth module
- FCC certified
- Fully-configurable UART
- UART data rates up to 3Mbps for distances up to 100 meters
- Over-air data rate of 721kbps to 2.0Mbps
- Low power sleep mode
- Compatible with Bluetooth products that support SPP
- Includes support for BCSP, DUN, LAN, GAP SDP, RFCOMM, and L2CAP protocols
- 3.3V operation
- Status pin
- Bluetooth technology v2.0 compatible
- Class 1 power output
- Firmware version 4.77
Note: SparkFun calls this product the “Bluetooth DIP Module – Roving Networks”, SKU: WRL-10144
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.