Secure your project with biometrics - this all-in-one optical fingerprint sensor will make adding fingerprint detection and verification super simple. These modules are typically used in safes - there's a high powered DSP chip that does the image rendering, calculation, feature-finding and searching. Connect to any microcontroller or system with TTL serial, and send packets of data to take photos, detect prints, hash and search. You can also enroll new fingers directly - up to 162 finger prints can be stored in the onboard FLASH memory. There's a red LED in the lens that lights up during a photo so you know its working.
Adafruit like this particular sensor because not only is it easy to use, it also comes with fairly straight-forward Windows software that makes testing the module simple - you can even enroll using the software and see an image of the fingerprint on your computer screen. But, of course, Adafruit wouldn't leave you a datasheet and a "good luck!" - Adafruit wrote a full Arduino library so that you can get running in under 10 minutes. The library can enroll and search so its perfect for any project. Adafruit have also written a detailed tutorial on wiring and use. This is by far the best fingerprint sensor you can get.
- Supply voltage: 3.6 - 6.0VDC
- Operating current: 120mA max
- Peak current: 150mA max
- Fingerprint imaging time: <1.0 seconds
- Window area: 14mm x 18mm
- Signature file: 256 bytes
- Template file: 512 bytes
- Storage capacity: 162 templates
- Safety ratings (1-5 low to high safety)
- False Acceptance Rate: <0.001% (Security level 3)
- False Reject Rate: <1.0% (Security level 3)
- Interface: TTL Serial
- Baud rate: 9600, 19200, 28800, 38400, 57600 (default is 57600)
- Working temperature rating: -20C to +50C
- Working humidity: 40%-85% RH
- Full Dimensions: 56 x 20 x 21.5mm
- Exposed Dimensions (when placed in box): 21mm x 21mm x 21mm triangular
- Weight: 20 grams
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Getting Hands-on with Sensors
What good is a robot if it can’t interact with the environment around it? Sensors are the backbone of almost every electronics project as they allow your program to make decisions based on external stimuli. We’ve got sensors for all kinds...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.