Cellular + GPS tracking, all in one? Oh yes! Introducing Adafruit FONA 808 MiniGSM + GPS, an all-in-one cellular phone module with that lets you add location-tracking, voice, text, SMS and data to your project in an adorable little package. (It does not contain a drum machine, tho)
This module measures only 1.75"x1.6" but packs a surprising amount of technology into it's little frame. At the heart is a powerful GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM808) with integrated GPS. This module can do just about everything.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Fully-integrated GPS (MT3337 chipset with -165 dBm tracking sensitivity) that can be controlled and query over the same serial port
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset or an external 32Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
Here's the GPS specifications:
- 22 tracking / 66 acquisition channels
- GPS L1 C/A code
- Sensitivity: Tracking: -165 dBm, Cold starts : -147 dBm
- Time-To-First-Fix: Cold starts: 32s (typ.), Hot starts: 1s (typ.), Warm starts: 5s (typ.)
- Accuracy: approx 2.5 meters
Sounds delicious, right? So Adafruit plated this fine module onto a little breakout with all the extras you need to make your next project shine:
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and done
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 32Ω speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- uFL connections for external antennas
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a microcontroller to drive it! we suggest and use an Arduino but any 3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over the RX/TX pins.
You will also need some required accessories to make FONA work. These are not included!
- Required SIM Card! A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the cellular network.
- Required Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger! This 500mAh battery, or this 1200mAh will work great.
- MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
- External uFL GSM Antenna - this slim one works great.
- (or, if you want to Adafruit an SMA antenna - a uFL to SMA adapter cable.)
- External uFL Passive GPS Antenna - like this one!
There's also some recommended accessories. They are not required but chances are you'll want them!
- TRRS 4-Pole Headset - Any 'iPhone' or 'Android' compatible (but not iPhone original) should work. Adafruit tried about 10 different ones, and basically the more expensive once are more comfortable and louder but Adafruit's official iPhone headset mic did not work.
- Vibrating motor - the FONA can drive this directly, just solder a mini vibrating motor disc in!
- USB console cable - the microUSB connector is for charging only, but you can wire up a console cable for direct-connection to the module if you want to send commands from a terminal (great for testing and tweaking)
- 44mm x 43mm x 8mm / 1.7" x 1.7" x 0.3"
- Weight: 12.3g
- Datasheets, EagleCAD PCB files, Fritzing object and more available in the product tutorial
- As of Dec 11, 2015 Adafruit are shipping with the version 2 SIM808 module which has a slightly different GPS command naming system (AT+CGNS rather then AT+CGPS), and a newer GPS chipset (MT3337 not MT3336)
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.