When Adafruit saw this breadboard-friendly module used in the Coobro Geo kit, Adafruit were excited to carry it as a separate product. It's a no-nonsense, high-quality GPS module that can track up to 22 satellites on 66 channels, has an excellent high-sensitivity receiver (-165 dB tracking!), and a built in antenna. The chipset is the latest MTK3329 which can do up to 10 location updates a second for high speed, high sensitivity logging or tracking. Of course the icing on the cake is the use of 6 x 0.1" spaced holes on the side which make it trivial to add to any breadboard or perf-board project.
The only thing you'll need to watch for is that the module is designed to run at about 3.3V, and shouldn't be powered by 5.0V. If you're using an Arduino, simply connect the GPS power pin to the 3.3V pin. If you want to configure the module, you'll want to put a 10K resistor divider on the RX pin so you don't put 5V on the data pin. Adafruit include these resistors, as well as a 6 pin header you can solder to the module in order to plug it into a breadboard.
Get started in a jiffy: after soldering together the module, follow Adafruit's wiring diagram to connect it to your Arduino or other microcontroller. Then run Adafruit's example sketch which will allow you to quickly set the update rate and select which NMEA sentences you want to have spit out.
- Satellites: 22 tracking, 66 searching
- Update rate: 1 to 10 Hz
- Position Accuracy: 1.8 meters
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.1 meters/s
- Warm/cold start: 34 seconds
- Acquisition sensitivity: -145 dBm
- Tracking sensitivity: -165 dBm
- Maximum Altitude: 18,000 meters
- Maximum Velocity: 515m/s
- Operating voltage: 3.0-4.2VDC
- Operating current: 25 mA current draw during navigation
- Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default
- WAAS/EGNOS supported
- Weight: 9 grams
- Dimensions: 22mm x 22mm x 8mm
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.