One of the great things about the 8Bitdo controllers is the fact that you can upgrade the firmware as new builds are released by 8Bitdo, allowing for future compatibility with various platforms. The process for updating the 8Bitdo controller firmware is fairly straightforward and can be done over USB.
Keeping your controller updated to the latest firmware is recommended as it may improve various aspects of the controller’s performance, or introduce new features and functionality.
Download the Firmware Update Package
The firmware that you’ll need depends on the model of the controller that you’re using, so click on the corresponding links to get the correct firmware for the model of your controller:
The links provided above will take you to the 8Bitdo website where you can download the latest firmware version. The download folder (which you will need to extract on your computer) contains the firmware file and the update tool which you will need to run in order to transfer the new firmware file. Go to the downloaded folder and run the 8Bitdo_Update.exe file located in update tools (MacOS or Windows).
Updating the Firmware
- Ensure that the battery on your gamepad is charged
- Before connecting the microUSB cable, hold the START + L + R buttons for 3 seconds until the Green and Blue LEDs begin to flash (or yellow LED for the N64 style controller)
- Now connect the controller to your computer using the microUSB cable
- Once your controller is connected, click ‘USB Update’ in the update tool window and select firmware update file from the folder that you downloaded
- Wait for the firmware update to complete, and you’re all done!
That’s all there is to updating the firmware on your 8Bitdo gamepads, so happy gaming!