The SparkFun Serial Controlled Motor Driver (SCMD) is a DC motor driver that’s been designed to drive small DC motors with ease. The SCMD is designed to emulate a typical register-based device in operation. It can be commanded by UART, I2C or SPI communication, and it can drive a constant 1.2A load per motor (peak 1.5A) at 11V. Need more than two motors? Chain multiple SCMDs together and command them through the same serial interface. Need more current? Each board’s output can be bridged to allow double current.
This driver board was designed to be affordable, compact and have more features than previous versions of serial-controlled motor drivers. Its main advantage is the variability of drive levels, making fine control adjustments a possibility. The SCMD is a 3.3V logic device! If you need to interface to 5V, you’ll need to use a logic level converter – or modify the SCMDs from stock to operate at 5V and supply your own regulated 5V.
- 1.5A peak drive per channel, 1.2A steady state
- Operates from 3 to 11 volts with 12V absolute max
- 3.3V default VCC and logic
- Max VCC in of 5.5V
- 127 levels of DC drive strength.
- Controllable by I2C, SPI or TTL UART signals
- Direction inversion on a per motor basis
- Global Drive enable
- Expansion port utilizing I2C, allows 16 additional drivers
- Exposed TO-220 heat sink shape
- Several I2C addresses, default UART bauds available
- Bridgeable outputs
- Optional fail-safe and diagnostics available.
- Configurable expansion bus bit rate to 50, 100 or 400kHz.
- Configurable expansion bus update rate from 1ms to 255ms, or by command only
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.