Ever wanted your microcontroller to sense images without eating up all your processor speed? Or wish that you had an image sensor that wasn't limited to RGB - but could sense hue and saturation as well? Or just want a kickstarted, open source camera sensor with a cool name? Enter the Pixy CMUCam - an image sensor for your microcontroller that you can teach what to look for.
The Pixy CMUCam 5 is an image sensor with a powerful processor that you can program to only send the information you're looking for so your microcontroller isn't overwhelmed by data. The Pixy CMUCam also exports its information in a variety of useful ways - UART serial, SPI, I2C, digital out, or analog out - so your microcontroller can communicate easily while still doing other tasks. It's so unobtrusive that you can even hook up multiple Pixy CMUCams to one microcontroller!
The Pixy CMUCam5 also uses hue and saturation as its primary means of image detection - rather than the normal RGB. This means that lighting or exposure won't affect the Pixy CMUCam's detection of an item - which is a frustrating problem with many image sensors. It's also a vast improvement over previous versions of the Pixy CMUCam, adding increased flexibility when it comes to lighting and exposure changes.
It can also remember seven different color signatures, find hundreds of objects at the same time, and is super fast - processing at 50 frames a second. Finally, the Pixy CMUCam is also teachable so you can set it up to only send you images that you've specifically told it to look for. It's easy and fast and has an open source application called PixyMon.
Each Pixy CMUcam5 Sensor comes with a 6-pin-to-10-pin IDC cable and mounting tabs and screws.
For more information, check out the Pixy CMUCam5 wiki!
- Dimensions (no IDC cable, no screws): 50mm x 54mm x 2mm / 2" x 2.1" x 0.08"
- Height of Camera: 25mm / 1"
- Front two screw holes: 19mm apart / 0.75"
- Back two screw holes: 47mm apart / 1.85"
- Weight (no IDC cable, no screws): 25.5g
- For more information, check out the Pixy CMUCam5 wiki!
Documentation and Resources:
- Hands-free Selfie Camera Control
Ever wanted to record a video and be included in it? My children did. One does parkour, and the other loves to dance, both want to perfect their art by watching their moves during practice. They asked their inventor/tinkerer dad, "can you make something like this dad?" I said, "Challenge accepted". However, after almost a full year of working just about every night, I got it right....
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.