|Parallax SumoBot Robots included in the SumoBot Robot Competition Kit.|
This kit comes with all the parts you need to build and program two high-quality SumoBot Robots designed to wrestle in the mini-sumo competition ring (included in the kit!). The electronics consists of a built-in surface-mounted BASIC Stamp 2 module and an array of infrared sensors to detect your opponent and the edge of the Sumo Ring. Additional components include piezospeakers, resistors, pushbuttons and LEDs to build custom breadboard circuits for program mode selection and sensor state feedback. The hardware package includes black anodized aluminum chassis and scoops, servo motors, wheels, 4AA power packs (batteries not included), mounting standoffs, and screws for two complete SumoBot robots.
This SumoBot kit comes with two printed texts. The SumoBot Manual (1MB pdf) has assembly instructions and test programs that take you from basic moves to one-on-one combat. Once you have your SumoBot robots up and running, give them a competitive edge and expand your skills by following the step-by-step activities in Applied Robotics with the SumoBot (5MB pdf). Activities include friction analysis, self-calibrating sensors, memory optimization with multipurpose variables and a sensor flags register, and state-machine diagrams for sensor-based navigation. EEPROM data logging lets you record your robot’s sensor and program states during a match, then display them afterward in the BASIC Stamp Editor Debug Terminal — an excellent way to troubleshoot and analyze the performance of your program strategies.
|SumoBot competition ring included in the SumoBot Robot Competition Kit.|
Hold your wrestling matches on the durable 36" x 36" SumoBot robot competition ring poster, designed to use with the instructions and programs included in the Applied Robotics with the SumoBot (5MB pdf) text.
| Requirements |
- SumoBot Manual (1MB pdf) — Assembly and testing instructions for the SumoBot.
- Applied Robotics with the SumoBot (5MB pdf) — Textbook with projects and activities that expand your skills and give your SumoBot a competitive edge. This text builds on concepts introduced in Robotics with the Boe-Bot (4MB pdf) (the companion-text for the Boe-Bot Robot Kit) so you might want to read that text as well.
- TWO SumoBot robots (assembly required) — All the parts you need to assemble TWO SumoBot robots including infrared sensors, LEDs, piezospeakers, resistors, and pushbuttons (for a complete list, see Other Included Components).
- TWO SumoBot development boards — The development board is the control center for the SumoBot. It has a built-in, surface-mount BASIC Stamp 2 (the “brains” of the robot) and a built-in solderless breadboard for building circuits that connect to the BASIC Stamp.
- Serial cable — A standard, straight-through serial cable for connecting the SumoBot to your computer’s serial port so you can program your SumoBots.
- Parallax USB to Serial Adapter and USB A to mini-B cable — For connecting the SumoBots to your computer’s USB port (if you do not have a serial port or if you prefer using a USB port instead of a serial port). Install the USB driver before connecting the adapter to your computer.
- Sumo ring poster — A 36" x 36" heavy-weight poster of a mini-sumo competition ring where your two SumoBots can battle it out.
Note: You will need to install the Basic Stamp editor software from Parallax’s website to write PBASIC programs for downloading to the BASIC Stamp.
Other Included Components
- Two 10 kΩ resistors 1/4 watt
- Six 220 Ω resistors 1/4 watt
- Eight 470 Ω resistors 1/4 watt
- Ten infrared LEDs
- Two red LEDs
- Ten infrared receivers
- Ten LED standoffs for infrared LEDs
- Ten LED light shields for infrared LEDs
- Two pushbutton, normally open
- Two SumoBot printed circuit boards
- Four QTI line sensors
- 24 pan head screws 4-40, 3/8"
- 24 4-40, 3/8" nuts
- Four #4 nylon washers
- Four flat head screws, 4-40, 3/8"
- Eight pan head screws, 4-40, 1/4"
- One Parallax screwdriver
- Four Phillips pan head screws, 4-40, 1"
- Eight standoffs, aluminum, round 4-40, 5/8"
- Four standoffs, 1.25", 4-40 F to F
- Two SumoBot chassis
- Two SumoBot front scoops
- Four wheels, plastic, 2.58" diameter, 0.3" width
- Eight rubber band tires
- Two battery holders, 4 AA cell, tinned lead
- Three bags of ten 3" jumper wires
- Four 3-pin female/female extension cables
- Two piezospeakers
- Four continuous rotation servos
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.