The MLX90614 family of sensors use infrared thermopile detectors to determine the temperature of objects without touching them. This sensor can tolerate ambient temperatures from -40 to 85°C and works for object temperatures from -70 to 382.2°C. It provides a measurement resolution of 0.02°C and has an accuracy of ±0.5°C at room temperature. The device comes in a compact TO-39 package that weighs just 0.03 oz (0.9g), and it features filters that give it immunity from ambient IR and sunlight. Please see the MLX90614 datasheet (749k pdf) for more information.
- Fire detector on a firefighting robot
- Movement detector
- Thermal relay with a programmable threshold (e.g. for use in a thermostat)
- Body temperature measurement
- Monitoring of component temperatures, such as motor drivers
- Multi-zone temperature control—up to 100 sensors can be read via two common wires
|MLX90614 connection to SMBus.|
Using the Sensor
The sensor supports two possible interfaces: SMBus (default) and 10-bit PWM output. The SMBus is completely compatible with I²C (also called TWI) buses for frequencies below 100 kHz and can be used to configure and enable the PWM output if so desired. In addition to the sensor’s datasheet, Melexis’s application note on MLX90614 SMBus communication (589k pdf) and Pololu's application note on interfacing Orangutans with the MLX90614 help demonstrate how to use this sensor.
Please note that accurate readings can only be achieved if the sensor is in thermal equilibrium and under isothermal conditions (i.e. there are no temperature differences across the sensor package). The measured object temperature is the average of all objects in the sensor’s field of view.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.