Starting out on your electronics adventure?
Want to wield the mighty soldering iron?
Tired of saying "I'd totally get into electronics if I only knew what tools to get..."?
Working with substandard equipment is a terrible way to learn electronics: a lot of frustration with too little success. The right tool set will keep you progressing without the stressing.
This toolbox contains carefully selected hand tools that will last you for many many years.
- 30W adjustable temperature soldering iron (Model XY258) - with a temperature control on the side and indicator LED so you can go from standard to lead-free to silver solder. Comes with a 1/16" tip which is good for through hole and some larger surface mount assembly. Note this iron is 120V ONLY, not for use in 220V countries
- Soldering stand - a real stand with sponge and double spring prevents your iron from 'rolling away' or burning a hole in the table. Essential for your safety.
- Solder, rosin-core, 0.031" diameter, 1/4 lb (100g) spool - Standard 60/40 solder for electronics work. Most toolkits give you a tiny bit, but this spool will last you for months and you won't run out in the middle of your project
- Solder sucker - Strangely enough, that's the technical term for this desoldering vacuum tool. Useful in cleaning up mistakes, every electrical engineer has one of these on their desk.
- Solder wick/braid 5ft spool - Used along with the solder sucker to clean up soldering messes. Wick really comes in handy when soldering or desoldering surface-mount parts. Even if you don't have the best iron for SMT work, a bit of wick will fix it up.
- Panavise Jr - PCB holder and general purpose 360 degree mini-vise. I use mine every day, they are the best thing for holding your circuit board steady, and the soft jaws are not conductive so you can do power tests at the same time.
- Digital Multimeter - Model 9205B+ is a good-all-around basic multimeter. Has a continuity tester, DC/AC voltage and current, resistance, transistor and diode/LED test. Runs on a 9V battery.
- Diagonal cutters - the best diagonal cutters, these are comfortable to use and have strong nippers for perfect trimming of wires and leads. I've used my pair every day for years.
- Wire strippers - Adafruit have upgraded Adafruit's basic 'adjustable' wire strippers to these multi-sized wire strippers. They include: 22-30 AWG strippers, wire cutters, 'plier' tips, and a wire loop. Ground blades for precision cutting. Spring return, comfy molded handles and a closing-lock.
- Micro needle-nose pliers - for bending, forming, holding, squeezing and plying all of those little components.
- Solid-core wire, 22AWG, 25ft spools - Three spools! In black, red and yellow. Perfect for bread-boarding and wiring.
- Half size solderless breadboard - for prototyping your next project, these breadboards can snap together to expand
- Bonus! 5V power supply parts pack - DC power jack, protection diode, 7805 1Amp 5V regulator, two 25V and 6V bypass capacitors, two 0.1uF ceramic capacitors, red and green indicator LEDs and matching resistors. All the parts necessary to power up your first electronics project from a wall adapter or batteries.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.