The SparkFun Tinker Kit (STK) is a great way to get started with programming and hardware interaction with the Arduino programming language. The STK is our newest version of the former SparkFun Mini Inventor’s Kit, blended with elements of our educatorMESA kit. Each SparkFun Tinker Kit includes everything you need to complete 11 circuits that will teach you how to blink an LED, read sensors, drive servos, and more. You don’t need any previous programming or electronics experience to use this kit.
The online STK Experiment Guide (in the Documents section below) contains step-by-step instructions of how to connect each circuit with the included parts. Full example code is provided and explained, and even includes troubleshooting tips in case something goes wrong.
The kit does not require any soldering and is recommended for beginners ages 10 and up. This miniature version of the SIK will help prove that anyone can (and should) play around with cutting-edge electronics in a fun and playful way while not breaking the bank.
- Circuit 1: Blinking an LED
- Circuit 2: Reading a Potentiometer
- Circuit 3: Driving an RGB LED
- Circuit 4: Driving Multiple LEDs
- Circuit 5: Reading a Button Press
- Circuit 6: Reading a Photoresistor
- Circuit 7: Reading a Temperature Sensor
- Circuit 8: Using a Servo Motor
- Circuit 9: Driving a Motor with an H-Bridge
- Circuit 10: Controlling a Motor with Inputs
- Circuit 11: Reading Serial Data
- SparkFun RedBoard
- Breadboard - Self-Adhesive (White)
- Servo – Sub-Micro Size
- Hobby Gearmotor – 200 RPM (Pair)
- Temperature Sensor – TMP36
- Mini Photocell
- SparkFun USB Mini-B Cable – 6 Foot
- Jumper Wires – 7" M/M 30 AWG (30 Pack)
- LED – RGB Clear Common Cathode
- Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green LEDs
- 10K Trimpot
- Momentary Pushbutton Switch – 12mm
- H-Bridge Motor Driver 1A
- Battery Holder - 4xAA to Barrel Jack Connector
- 330 and 10K Resistors
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.