The BASIC Stamp 2 module serves as the brains inside of electronics projects and applications that require a programmable microcontroller. It is able to control and monitor timers, keypads, motors, sensors, switches, relays, lights, and more. Programming is performed in an easy-to-learn language called PBASIC, which is detailed in the starter kit that includes the BASIC Stamp 2, the BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit.
The BS2-IC is widely used in educational, hobby, and industrial applications. Plentiful resources including documentation, source code, and customer projects are available online and in print.
- Processor speed: 20 MHz
- Program execution speed: ~4,000 PBASIC instructions/sec.
- RAM size: 32 bytes (6 I/0, 26 variable)
- EEPROM (program) size: 2K bytes; ~500 PBASIC instructions
- Number of I/O pins: 16 + 2 dedicated serial
- Current draw @ 5 VDC: 3mA run, 50 μA sleep
- Source/sink current per I/O: 20 mA / 25 mA
- Source/sink current per unit: 40 mA / 50 mA per 8 I/O pins
- PBASIC commands: 42
- Package: 24-pin DIP
- Industrial-rated since Rev J
- Power requirements: 5.5 to 15 VDC (Vin), or 5 VDC (Vdd)
- Communication: serial (9600 baud for programming)
- Dimensions: 1.20" x 0.63" x 0.15" (30.0 x 16.0 x 3.81 mm)
- Operating temperature: -40 to +185 °F (-40 to +85 °C)
Note: If you are new to electronics and programming, Pololu recommend starting with the BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit, an excellent introductory kit that comes with everything you need to get started with BASIC Stamp programming and electronics, including a BASIC Stamp 2 module, two printed booklets, and all the basic electronics components necessary to build dozens of fun projects.
To get started with the BASIC stamp you will need the following:
- Free programming software that lets you type PBASIC programs in a text editor and compile them for downloading to your BASIC Stamp (the BASIC Stamp editors are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux).
- Standard, straight-through serial cable for downloading programs from your computer to the BASIC Stamp. See the BASIC Stamp 2 schematic (143k pdf) for connecting the serial cable to the module.
- BASIC Stamp manual (5MB pdf)
- BASIC Stamp FAQ (110k pdf)
- BASIC Stamp module (this product)
- (Optionally, the Board of Education development board, which is included in the BASIC Stamp Discovery Kit.)
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.