|Bipolar stepper motor wires are terminated with bare leads.|
|Sanyo bipolar stepper motor wiring diagram.|
This tiny bipolar stepping motor from Sanyo has a 1.8° step angle (200 steps/revolution). Each phase draws 300 mA at 6.3 V, allowing for a holding torque of 66 g-cm (0.92 oz-in). The motor has four color-coded wires terminated with bare leads: red and yellow connect to one coil; orange and blue connect to the other. It can be controlled by a pair of suitable H-bridges (one for each coil), but Pololu recommend using a bipolar stepper motor driver. It is available with a single shaft or double shaft.
Pololu's 4 mm universal mounting hub can be used to mount objects on the stepper motor’s 4 mm-diameter output shaft.
- Size: 14 mm square × 30 mm, not including the shaft
- Weight: 27 g (single shaft) or 28 g (double shaft)
- Shaft diameter: 4 mm
- Steps per revolution: 200
- Current rating: 300 mA per coil
- Voltage rating: 6.3 V
- Resistance: 21 Ω per coil
- Holding torque: 66 g-cm (0.92 oz-in)
- Inductance: 4.2 mH per coil
- Lead length: 30 cm (12″)
More specifications are available in the datasheet (125k pdf).
The following diagram shows the stepper motor dimensions in mm. This motor is 30 mm in length. The output shaft has a length of 15 mm and a diameter of 4 mm. The second shaft on the dual version has a length of 10 mm and a diameter of 4 mm. This shaft works with Pololu's 4 mm universal mounting hub.
|The inside of a bipolar stepper motor.|
Stepper Motor Applications
Stepper motors are generally used in a variety of applications where precise position control is desirable and the cost or complexity of a feedback control system is unwarranted. Here are a few applications where stepper motors are often found:
- CNC machines
- 3D printer/prototyping machines (e.g. RepRap)
- Laser cutters
- Pick and place machines
- Linear actuators
- Hard drives
|Sanyo stepper motors; from left to right: 14mm single shaft, 42×18.6mm, 50×11mm, 14mm double shaft|
Note: Sanyo Denki calls this product the “SANMOTION F2 Small Size 2-Phase Stepping Motor Model SH2141-5541” and “SH2141-5511”.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.