Warning: This product requires a button battery to operate which is hazardous to young children. Do not use this product for projects that are potentially accessible to young children.
Add sparkle to your project with these lovely silver wire LED strands. These strands are very interesting, they use two silver wires that are coated so they don't short if they touch, then tiny 1000mcd LEDs are bonded onto the wires and coated with epoxy. The result is a very flexible silver wire with sparkly "fairy" lights that are much less visible than normal LEDs. They're still just LEDs, but in a fun new form-factor! They're even waterproof - you can dunk these or have them outdoors, just be sure to protect the battery holder.
Each strand comes with 12 LEDs, approximately 5cm/2 inches apart for a 2 foot long strand of wire. At one end of the magnet wire, a double stranded-core wire is soldered on and heat-shrinked to protect it. A 2 x CR2032 coin cell holder with on/off switch is on the other side. Of course, if you want you can just cut the coin cell holder off and solder on a 3xAAA battery holder or 3xAA battery holder. To solder to the magnet wire, scrape off the coating first.
Requires 2 x CR2032 batteries to run. Does not come with batteries, We do stock CR2032 batteries if you want to use them as is. Runs for about 8 hours continuously on two CR2032's.
Please note: There are no series resistor installed in the strand, if you want to use another supply you will need to calculate and solder in a resistor. The reason that two 3V coin cells can be used to drive LEDs with a forward voltage of about 3.2V is that coin cells have an internal resistance that makes up for the lack of a choke resistor. If you want to drive these via a 6V power supply, you'll want to put in a 20-220 ohm (or larger) resistor in series to avoid burning out the LEDs. If you want to use a 4.5V power supply, use 10-100 ohms (or larger).
- LED strand is 26 inches (660mm) long, LEDs are spaced 5cm/2" apart
- 1000mcd brightness per LED, Forward voltage of 3.2-3.4V @ 20mA
- Connecting wire is 8 inches (203mm) long
- Battery holder is 2" x 0.9" x 0.22" (51mm x 23mm x 5.6mm)
- Weight without batteries: 6.44g
- Weight with batteries: 12.44g
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.