The USB Bit Whacker is a spectacular little development board featuring the PIC18F2553. Based on the work of Brian Schmalz, the UBW is a small board with a command interpreter for basic input and output control. When attached to a Windows/Max OS X/Linux computer, the UBW will show up as an RS232 Com port! You control the individual I/O pins on the PIC through simple serial commands. Board comes fully tested, preprogrammed, and assembled as shown.
The 18F2553 also comes pre-programmed with a USB bootloader. This means you can create HEX files using any compiler or assembler (C18, CC8e, SDCC) and then load that HEX file onto the PIC without an external programmer - directly over USB! Power is obtained over USB.
Please download the Microchip USB Bootloader below. Please see the UBW home page for more information.
You may start with downloading and installing the latest release of Microchip USB Framework Installation file. The Release Notes provide details on the location of the Comunications Device Class (CDC) RS-232 Emulation driver INF file location. When installed the S1 LED will begin to blink.
Note: This product is a collaboration with Brian Schmalz. A portion of each sales goes back to them for product support and continued development.
- Reset Button
- General Input Button (also used to enter program mode during a reset)
- mini-USB Connection
- 16 General I/O
- TX/RX (can be used as a USB to UART converter board)
- 24MHz Crystal
- Two Status LEDs
- Preprogrammed with Bootloader and UBW_D firmware
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.