The Line Tracing Snail uses a infrared LED and a photo transistor to detect a black line (magic marker, electrical tape, etc.) drawn on a white background. It uses two small motors and rubber tires to slowly but surely follow the line. The body of the snail is made of transparent plastic to allow viewing of the mechanisms inside.
To follow a line, the snail emits infrared light from the an LED on the underside of its chassis. A photo transistor picks up the reflection of the infrared light to distinguish black from white surface. A potentiometer allows you to adjust the transistor sensitivity for various surface types and line widths. The snail’s speed is controlled with a switch. It has a low-speed mode suitable for fine lines and narrow areas and a high-speed that works best for wide areas and thick lines.
- Total height: 6.9" (176 mm)
- Motors: two type FA-130 motors (sensor unit and motor come pre-wired).
- Batteries: two AA batteries (not included)
- Battery life (with alkaline batteries)
- Low-speed: approximately 2 hours
- High-speed: approximately 3 hours
Note: The line-tracing snail is a kit; assembly is required. Two AA batteries are required but not included. Strong sunlight or lamp light may interfere with the sensor. Please use this product indoors or in shady areas. Adjust transistor sensitivity and line width to best suit snail running environment.
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.