Forrest M. Mims III is a trusted name in the electronics world for good reason: his charming and engaging texts have drawn millions of people into the world of electronics for the first time. Star Simpson has created an electronic tribute to those hand-drawn circuits by bringing the projects to life. These kits are an exquisitely designed series of finely crafted and highly detailed boards. These are the Circuit Classics. They make a great gift for a first-time learner, an expert tinkerer, or even just as a fun conversation piece for your desk.
This initial release includes three of Forrest’s circuit designs in kit form: the Dual-LED Flasher, the Stepped Tone Generator, and the Bargraph Voltage Indicator. Each kit includes:
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB): Includes the circuit itself, the circuit’s schematic, and a description of the circuit, all in Forrest’s iconic hand-drawn style, traced directly from his books. (Prototypes are OSHPark purple, but the final production run will be blue.)
- Through-hole Components: All the components you need to build a working circuit. Easy to place and solder on the PCB thanks to clear footprints and large, friendly solder pads.
- Display Stand: made of high-quality blond ash wood, each stand is crafted to let you proudly display your work.
This is the Stepped Tone Generator. This circuit gained a life of its own, jumping from the pages of the 555 Timer IC Circuits Engineer's Mini-Notebook and out into the world as the storied Atari Punk Console. Well-known for enabling the creation of sounds just like classic Atari console games from the 1980s, this kit from Circuit Classics provides a fun audio-centric project, as well as an interesting introduction to digital circuitry, feedback, and oscillators.
- 1 x Stepped Tone Generator PCB
- 1 x Alcohol Prep Pad
- 1 x Battery Clip
- 1 x 556 Integrated Circuit
- 1 x 1kΩ Resistor
- 2 x 1MΩ Potentiometer
- 1 x 5kΩ Potentiometer
- 1 x 10μF Capacitor
- 2 x 0.1μF Capacitor
- 1 x Speaker
- 1 x Black Alligator Clip
- 1 x Red Alligator Clip
- 4 x Rubber Foot
- 1 x Wooden Stand
You'll need a couple of additional tools and materials in order to put this kit together: a soldering iron (like this one), and solder. You can use the included wooden stand to hold the board while you solder.
Please note: Batteries are not included in the kit! You can choose to use the provided alligator clips to hook up a 9V battery or power supply of your choosing, or you can assemble the SMT Battery Clip to the reverse side, in which case you'll want to pick up a 3V 2032 coin cell battery on checkout.
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.