The MicroPython Pyboard v1.1 is the original PyBoard from MicroPython. It's a small but capable development board running the MicroPython programming language.
The PyBoard connects to your PC over micro-USB, allowing you to save your Python scripts as text files directly to the 'flash drive'. In addition, you also get a serial Python prompt (a REPL) for instant programming when you use your PyBoard over USB.
This board works on all current operating systems(Windows, Mac & Linux Distro's), all you will require is a micro-USB cable.
MicroPython is a very lean implementation of the Python 3.4 Programming language that is optimised to run on microcontrollers. It achieves optimal speed by using less RAM that it's big brother, Python. It was funded via Kickstarter and released under the MIT open source license. The best part of MicroPython is that it's a full-featured port of Python and supports original Python syntax. As Micropython runs bare metal (it's installed on the hardware), it essentially gives you a Python operating system. The libraries you need to control all the usual peripherals (UART, I2C, SPI, ADC and DAC) are built-in too, meaning you won't need to spend time installing them.
You can program and use your PyBoard in one of these 3 ways:
- REPL: A Read-Evaluate-Print Loop can be accessed using the USB connection on the PyBoard. This will allow you to pass single expressions directly to your PyBoard and have them executed one-at-a-time (piecewise). When you connect your PyBoard up to your PC, it will appear as a USB virtual comms port that can be accessed using any Serial program. Essentially you will be able to type and execute Python Commands straight to your PyBoard!
- Remote script: You can change from REPL to raw REPL mode by sending ctrl-A, and then in raw REPL mode you can send an arbitrary Python script to the board for it to execute immediately. A Python script is available which makes using this mode very simple: you just run
python pyboard.py script_to_run.pyand this will execute
script_to_run.pyon the pyboard, returning any output.
- From file: The PyBoard acts like a USB flash drive, with a built in filesystem that you can upload text files to. You can also add storage space using an SD card (see the slot onboard). To execute a micro-python script on startup of the board, you simply need to name it main.py and it will automatically execute!
Main features of the hardware:
- STM32F405RG microcontroller
- 168 MHz Cortex M4 CPU with hardware floating point
- 1024KiB flash ROM and 192KiB RAM
- Micro USB connector for power and serial communication
- Micro SD card slot, supporting standard and high capacity SD cards
- 3-axis accelerometer (MMA7660)
- Real time clock with optional battery backup
- 24 GPIO on left and right edges and 5 GPIO on bottom row, plus LED and switch GPIO available on bottom row
- 3x 12-bit analog to digital converters, available on 16 pins, 4 with analog ground shielding
- 2x 12-bit digital to analog (DAC) converters, available on pins X5 and X6
- 4 LEDs (red, green, yellow and blue)
- 1 reset and 1 user switch
- On-board 3.3V LDO voltage regulator, capable of supplying up to 250mA, input voltage range 3.6V to 16V
- DFU bootloader in ROM for easy upgrading of firmware
There are two M2 Sized mounting holes on the PyBoard, each has perforations if you want to remove them entirely.
You PyBoard will be shipped in a small plastic ESD (anti-static) box.
The important differences between PYBv1.0 and PYBv1.1:
- high-speed crystal changed from 8MHz to 12MHz
- LDO changed from MCP1802 to MCP1703
- USB VBUS power diode replaced with silicon diode
- JST battery connector pads added with protection FET
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $5.78 for Air Mail (3+ days, not tracked)
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.