A robot friend to sit on your desk and scroll the news, weather, or your Twitter feed - it's the Pimoroni Scroll Bot!
The Scroll Bot Kit combines the Pi Zero W with the new Scroll pHAT HD board, and masquerades as a friendly orange robot, perfect for sitting on your desk or on a shelf. It's ideal for scrolling messages or for simple animations and, of course, it takes advantage of the built-in wireless LAN on the Pi Zero W. It'll take around 30 minutes to assemble everything (check out Pimoroni's assembly guide for details). All you need to add is your own micro-SD card and a USB power supply.
- Pi Zero W
- Scroll pHAT HD with 17x7 individually dimmable white LEDs
- Male and female 2x20 pin headers
- Orange robot stand and diffuser
- 50cm USB A to micro-B cable
- USB A (female) to micro B (male) adaptor
- Mini to full-size HDMI adaptor
Sticker sheet (personalize your Scroll Bot!)
- Comes in a reusable kit box
Scroll Bot uses the new Scroll pHAT HD board, a dense matrix of 17x7 (119 total) bright white LEDs. Each pixel's brightness can be controlled individually, meaning that it's possible to create stunning animations or even anti-aliased text. The LED matrix sits behind Scroll Bot's mouth, and the frosted orange acrylic diffuses the LEDs beautifully.
Use the built-in wireless LAN to make your Scroll Bot internet-connected and have him/her/it inform you of the latest news, weather, track hashtags or mentions on Twitter, or much, much more.
- 17x7 matrix of bright white pixels (119 total)
- Individual PWM brightness control of each pixel
- Uses the IS31FL3731 LED matrix driver chip
- 3-layer orange robot stand and diffuser
- Pi Zero W with single core CPU and built-in wireless LAN and Bluetooth
- USB and HDMI adapter kit
- 50cm USB A to micro-B cable (power your Pi from an existing charger or computer)
- Python library
- Female and male headers require soldering
Assembled size of Scroll Bot is 125x85x67mm (WxHxD).
- Pimoroni's handy one-line installer will install the Scroll pHAT HD Python library for you. They've included a bunch of examples too, to show off what you can do with Scroll pHAT HD.
- For product support, replacement parts and warranty for Pimoroni products visit the Pimoroni forum or contact Pimoroni directly.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Raspberry Pi Workshop for Beginners
Welcome to the Raspberry Pi Workshop for Beginners! Here you'll be able to follow along with our series of bite-sized videos that cover everything you'll need to know to get started with your Raspberry Pi, and start making awesome projects. My name...
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Maintaining a Project with Git
Let's have a very quick look at Git and Github - Git is an enormous topic, so this won't be an exhaustive tutorial but by the end of it we'll have a working knowledge of basic git workflow. I'll be showing this tutorial on a Raspberry Pi, ...
- Pimoroni Blinkt: Setup and first script
Not quite sure how to get started with your Pimoroni Blinkt module? Let's set one up and have a play around! We'll guide you through the installation, open up some examples and try our hand at writing a simple program. You'll need: A Raspberry Pi...
- Basics: Getting Started with the Terminal on Raspberry Pi
In this tutorial we’ll be getting familiar with basic use of the Raspberry Pi terminal. We’ll cover navigating the file-system, making directories, writing and editing text files, and just touch on the use of wildcards. To get started wi...
- Our Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 Review
A new day is upon us, and it is glorious. After all, it’s not often that a new Raspberry Pi board is released. As you’re probably aware, the current iteration of the popular Raspberry Pi microcomputer is the Raspberry Pi 3. It has a Broad...
- Mass SD card Image Writer
We've built a mass SD card writer using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, some USB hubs and SD card readers. This beast has enough ports to write 49 SD cards at once! At Core Electronics, sometimes logistics hang-ups mean that suppliers cannot meet our demand for pre-flashed SD cards. During these periods we have to pick up the slack by manually imaging blank SD cards we source ourselves. Of course, this is a super-tedious process, and ...
- Pi Zero - Cloud Print Server
I really love the reliability of my Fuji wireless mono laser printer. Best printer I've ever owned. However, it was released without Google Cloud Print. This required constant driver installation on new devices and the inconvenience of not being able to print documents until I am home. I had quite a few solutions in mind such as moving it near the router that could act as a print server. Too much effort ;) This is where the Rasp...
- Retro Hand held Pi Zero
I bought a Pi zero w from Core Electronics for a friend, also bought the official case too but thought I'd fit the Pi into something he can show off! I used an old hand held game case I had laying around, I had to remove the original circuit board and plan where to place the Pi board....
This is an awesome project that takes about 6 hours to complete. Hours upon hours of endless fun thereafter! Ideally, some prior soldering experience is advantageous but if you take your time and practice before you start it's beginner friendly! The battery will give just over 3 hours on a single charge and can be recharged via the handy micro USB port. System updates, ROM transfers etc all possible with the Pi Zero W' built in...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.