This is the same product as the OpenLog. The difference is this version comes in fancy clamshell packaging meant for our distributors that need it. Regular customers are welcome to order, but we want to limit the amount of extra packaging finding its way into the trash heap.
OpenLog is an open source data logger. Simple to use, simple to change. We wanted to create a serial logger that just worked. Power up this device and it will start logging any received serial data at 9600bps. Sending Ctrl+z three times will drop out of logging and in to command mode. ‘new’ will create a new file. ‘md’ makes a directory. ‘?’ brings up the list of commands. OpenLog doesn’t do a lot, but it does log serial streams extremely well. Example:
<(send large amounts of text followed by three ctrl+z characters)
That’s really it! OpenLog firmware is open source and is based on Bill Greiman’s sdfatlib. OpenLog currently supports FAT16 and FAT32 microSD cards (we’ve tested up to 16GB!).
Note: New firmware is available which allows the OpenLog to be used in Arduino 1.0 and also allows for higher baud rates. Check the links below for more information.
- Log to low-cost microSD FAT16/32 cards up to 16GB
- Simple command interface
- Edit config.txt file from a computer to change baud rate and other system settings
- Three modes:
- NewLog creates a new log every power up and immediately starts logging
- SeqLog appends a file called “SeqLog.txt” at every power up and immediately starts logging
- Command mode starts OpenLog at a command prompt at power up
- Configurable baud rates (2400 to 115200bps)
- Configure unit through config file or the menu system
- Power, ground, and RX-I are the minimum connections
- Reprogrammable ATmega328 using the Arduino IDE
- Two LEDs indicate writing status
- Input voltage from 3.3V to 12V
- 2mA idle, 6mA at maximum recording rate
Dimensions: 0.16 x 0.6 x 0.75" (4 x 15 x 19mm)
- Example Arduino Sketches
- Command Set
- Datalogger comparison
- Quickstart Guide
- How to upgrade the firmware
- How do I use GitHub with Windows?
- Illumitune Project (tutorial) (video)
The OpenLog project is housed on GitHub! Please see the wiki for the most up-to-date firmware, feature requests, files, and datasheet specs.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.