Love your micro:bit but wish it had a splash of colour? Well, with this nifty add-on you have 32 individually controllable RGB WS2812B (NeoPixel) LEDs in a well proportioned 4x8 grid.
The WS2812B LEDs are also known as NeoPixels, which is Adafruits Trademark name for them. As such, they use the NeoPixel library in TouchDevelop etc.
The micro:pixel comes fully assembled with an edge connector, simply plug your micro:bit in and get coding! We have a link in the Example Code Section to the code we have been using to play with them!
By default the micro:pixel uses Pin0 as the LED data pin as this is the default value for the touch develop neopixel library. If you wish to use another pin in Micropython or Java then we have designed in a handy solder jumper on the board, simply cut the thin track using a craft knife and solder between the other pads this will enable pin 8 as the data pin for the LEDs and free up pin 0.
These little WS2812B Neopixel fellas can get VERY bright so we recommend running at a low brightness ONLY (we recommend 1/8th which is 32 out of 255 in your code).
WARNING - If you run the micro:pixel board at brightnesses higher than this, then you may well damage your micro:bit board as the pixels will try to pull more power than the micro:bit itself can handle.
Although the micro:bit will power the micro:pixel straight from a USB it's a good idea to use one of the related battery clips, that also means you can have a truly portable project.
The micro:pixel board also has the micro:bits pins 0, 1 and 2 broken out along with 3v and ground which can accommodate a banana plug or croc clip
Please note, micro:bit is not included.
Example code (Right click save as):
- Touch develop
- Micropython - Flame
- Flame source (MicroPython)
- Micropython - Disco Flame
- Disco Flame source (MicroPython)
- Find the green dot game (MicroPython) Thanks to Steve Groves for the code!
- Avoid the dot game by Philip - use the A and B button to change direction.
- A Tetris like game by Darryl Sloan in micro Python
MU - an off line MicroPython editor http://codewith.mu/
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.